Austin Hays

LAOSfan

1 minute ago, foxfield said:

I am very pleased with how things are going.  It has been a bit more challenging than I thought to reign in my optimism.  SSS and yada yada yada, but Hays, Diaz, Santander just in the outfield have sparkled in a way that makes one dream of good things to come.  Then add in that several of the infielders have also shown signs of potential and one starts to accelerate expectations.

Fortunately, the Orioles still have a pitching staff that is guaranteed to keep our expectations in check.  And of course our actual lineup will contain two players who will not play for the next winning baseball team.  Ok, back to reality.  Lol!

I've been trying to beat down my optimism as hard as I possibly can.  It's been impossible, I can't help it.  

• Replies 193
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

I am very pleased with how things are going.  It has been a bit more challenging than I thought to reign in my optimism.  SSS and yada yada yada, but Hays, Diaz, Santander just in the outfield have sparkled in a way that makes one dream of good things to come.  Then add in that several of the infielders have also shown signs of potential and one starts to accelerate expectations.

Fortunately, the Orioles still have a pitching staff that is guaranteed to keep our expectations in check.  And of course our actual lineup will contain two players who will not play for the next winning baseball team.  Ok, back to reality.  Lol!

Don't forget Sisco's performance thus far! The scary part is that it's just spring training. But hey, sometimes you gotta live a little. 

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

Man they have to give us something to root for in April... have to have Hays starting in the OF.

Then bring up Diaz later and have my dream OF of Mullins/Rickard, Hays, Diaz, with Mancini at 1B and Mountcastle/Santander at DH. That could be fun to watch. Need to cut Davis and Trumbo ASAP.

Nitpicking, but I think McKenna will be your fourth outfielder (or starting CF - not Rickard), Mountcastle at 1B (I believe he'll be better there than Mancini) and Santander/Mancini at DH. 

...with obvious time sharing amongst them.

Wow, yea, not sure how he hit that ball out last night.  I'm also  cautiously very excited about Hays.  Those were impact, game changing swings last night against pitchers pitches.  Until he gets a full season under his belt though I'll still have concerns about the ankle. Because, you know, I'm paranoid.  And he did look like he was still heel striking when sprinting to make that diving catch last week.

19 minutes ago, joelala said:

Wow, yea, not sure how he hit that ball out last night.  I'm also  cautiously very excited about Hays.  Those were impact, game changing swings last night against pitchers pitches.  Until he gets a full season under his belt though I'll still have concerns about the ankle. Because, you know, I'm paranoid.  And he did look like he was still heel striking when sprinting to make that diving catch last week.

I agree he runs kind of funny. I know he says he's relearned how to run better, though, so I dunno.

Just now, Natty said:

I haven't seen much of Hays obviously...Is he a better defensive CF than Mullins? Honest question...

Superior arm, inferior range.

Hays should give prime Jones level defense in Center.  Mullins should be better but he didn't show it last year.

Just now, Natty said:

I haven't seen much of Hays obviously...Is he a better defensive CF than Mullins? Honest question...

Probably not.    Better arm, less range (but not bad range, just OK). Mullins has good range but his major league numbers from last year don’t show it.     I’m assuming he’ll show better defensively this year.

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Superior arm, inferior range.

Hays should give prime Jones level defense in Center.  Mullins should be better but he didn't show it last year.

I don’t think Hays is as fast as Jones was in his prime.    

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm out.

My bad, didn't mean to say experts. How about 'serious fans' like me. I haven't seen where Mullins is any better defensively out there than Rickard. Maybe I'm missing something. 

Archived