Do you expect Elias to deal Bundy, Villar, and other vets by the trade deadline?

Greg Pappas

6 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Do you honestly think there's going to be a market for Cashner, Trumbo, and Karns? The "right" deal for any of them is the first team that calls asking if they're available.

Depends on how they play.   Contenders want  players playing well.  If any or all three of them are playing well they become attractive adds for the 2nd half for some teams.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, stay with me here.....let’s say it’s July 15 and through some unusual chain of events the O’s are hovering at .500, maybe a little better.    But unlike some other years, it’s relatively clear that the wild card cutoff will be at 90+, so we’re not really contending for a playoff spot.    Does Elias go into seller mode then, or does he conclude that he’s better off sticking with his core and possibly trying to compete in 2020?

Hey, a man can dream, can’t he?

I'll have what he's drinking.

Too many variables, but it makes sense that Elias will definitely try to get rid of both the departing FAs( Trumbo, Cashner) Karns stays IF he appears fully recovered, because he’s probably more valuable to us. Bundy doesn’t have much value right now but he’s not going to be part of the next fine Os team so move him if his value increases significantly. Otherwise keep him.

bullpen arms are cheap and unstable. Trade them all for solid future value of possible.

Trade Villar. Now might be a good time actually. Lotta teams want what he offers.

Selloff 2.0 

2021 is the year to try and start to “win” again. I don’t see us doing that next year no matter how great things break. The division is just too damn tough. Ideally I’d trade anyone that was as far as long as arb-1 at the start of 2021. Realistically we won’t have every player that qualifies perform well enough to be “tradable”. 

It’s all about acquiring as many assets as possible for 2021 and beyond. 

15 hours ago, Frobby said:

I found it interesting that in his initial letter to fans, he identified Bundy, Mancini, Givens and Mullins as part of our “future core.”    It would seem a little weird to publicly put Bundy in that group and then trade him, but I don’t think it would stop Elias from doing it.    

I don't either, and I am putting zero stock in an introductory PR letter that Elias sent before he probably even got his new office set up.  Bundy will either play well enough this year to be traded at the deadline, or he will have yet another super-disappointing season.  It's put up or shut up time for Bundy.  If he doesn't play well enough as a starting pitcher to be traded at the 2019 deadline, you have to wonder whether guy might be better as a reliever and maybe try that in 2020.  He's not part of the core of this team.  

20 minutes ago, FanSince88 said:

I don't either, and I am putting zero stock in an introductory PR letter that Elias sent before he probably even got his new office set up.  Bundy will either play well enough this year to be traded at the deadline, or he will have yet another super-disappointing season.  It's put up or shut up time for Bundy.  If he doesn't play well enough as a starting pitcher to be traded at the 2019 deadline, you have to wonder whether guy might be better as a reliever and maybe try that in 2020.  He's not part of the core of this team.  

Shut up?  What talking has Bundy done?

Basically, we have to look at this team as it's all about who will be around to contribute to a contender in two or three years. If we can sign someone like Bundy to a long term contract, then you keep him. If you can't or they don't see him as a key part, then you look to trade him. Look at every piece you mentioned through those eyes.

Bundy

Villar

Cobb

Cashner

Escobar

Trumbo

Givens

Bleier

Karns

Mancini

Davis (yeah, pipe dream, I know)

Now, of course, you have to get the right deal, but how many of them are going to be part of us making a run for it in 2020 or 2021? I think that is your answer. And honestly, any other names not there I believe are available at the right price.

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I found it interesting that in his initial letter to fans, he identified Bundy, Mancini, Givens and Mullins as part of our “future core.”    It would seem a little weird to publicly put Bundy in that group and then trade him, but I don’t think it would stop Elias from doing it.    

I think if Villar plays well enough to have trade value, he’ll be traded.    I’m sure we’ll make some other trades, too.

Can Bundy be our Keuchel?  He was bad through his age 25 season, then became a near 'ace' and was a huge part of the build to a WS.

16 hours ago, Frobby said:

So, stay with me here.....let’s say it’s July 15 and through some unusual chain of events the O’s are hovering at .500, maybe a little better.    But unlike some other years, it’s relatively clear that the wild card cutoff will be at 90+, so we’re not really contending for a playoff spot.    Does Elias go into seller mode then, or does he conclude that he’s better off sticking with his core and possibly trying to compete in 2020?

Hey, a man can dream, can’t he?

Sell.  Or maybe he becomes like Dan at the deadline and trades for Gerardo Parra. 

1 hour ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

Basically, we have to look at this team as it's all about who will be around to contribute to a contender in two or three years. If we can sign someone like Bundy to a long term contract, then you keep him. If you can't or they don't see him as a key part, then you look to trade him. Look at every piece you mentioned through those eyes.

Bundy

Villar

Cobb

Cashner

Escobar

Trumbo

Givens

Bleier

Karns

Mancini

Davis (yeah, pipe dream, I know)

Now, of course, you have to get the right deal, but how many of them are going to be part of us making a run for it in 2020 or 2021? I think that is your answer. And honestly, any other names not there I believe are available at the right price.

Under that rebuild, we might perform a bit better this year with these players but then trading all of them for prospects while the farm is still at least a year away would likely mean the nadir of the rebuild would be 2020 with a really young team that season and then upward from there if the drafting and talent pipeline model works out. 

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Shut up?  What talking has Bundy done?

Bundy sort of did some talking in the beginning of his career when he was rebelling against some of the things that he was being told re: conditioning, training etc...  After being injured, he seems to have backed off a bit.  

Archived