Electric Stuff

wildcard

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

o

If Harvey is throwing 98 MPH in late February AND he's staying healthy, then I am very happy ........ even if batters are squaring up and hitting the ball over 400 feet.

Randy Johnson once stated that as a power pitcher, he actually expected to get lit up in Spring Training because of the fact that his fastball was a few miles per hour

slower than what he expected to be throwing in the regular season ........ and that was from a seasoned veteran (he said that in the March of 2005.) Keeping the

often-injured and still young Hunter Harvey in once piece while he's simultaneously throwing hard is all that I want (and expect) right now.

o

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

I don’t put much stock into early spring training outings, but I’m into getting outs and not allowing a double, a homer and two fly outs in five batters.  I’m glad velocity is good but if they’re squaring it up it really doesn’t matter.    

Hyde on the Harvey outing.  As @wildcard said, give him a few more starts (as I am sure you will):

I haven’t talked to them about that,” Hyde said. “They just kind of lined up that way. But I was really impressed. After the homer, Hunter, the next pitch was 97 on the plate, just really, really aggressive. Just too pumped up, I think. He just kind of came out of his delivery a couple times just because he was so excited to be out there.

“Punching a guy out at 98 to end the inning, fantastic arm and great stuff.”

Hyde wasn’t sure what kind of velocity Harvey would bring into his first game.

“Especially everybody’s first-time outings, you just don’t know what to expect, whether it’s rust or adrenaline or nervous,” Hyde said. “I think as guys kind of flow into spring training and get more reps under their belt offensive and on the mound, you start seeing a little bit more of who they are. So you kind of take the first couple outings as more getting their work in and get their feet wet and then you can start evaluating from there.”

Said Harvey: “I wouldn’t say (velocity) matters a whole lot. I know I had one inning and it was the first time in a while and I just wanted to get that adrenaline going. It’s the first time I felt that in a while, so it’s just trying to get it under control now.”

Hitting 98 mph is fine as long as the delivery is free and easy, which Hyde checked from the dugout.

“It’s an effortless mid-to-upper 90s fastball,” Hyde said. “He was just overthrowing his off-speed stuff and so he’s getting in hitters’ counts and they were sitting heater on him. But when he starts commanding those secondary pitches he’s going to be really tough.”

http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/02/wrapping-up-a-7-1-loss-1.html

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I’m completely open minded about how Harvey will fare this season.   I’m just tired of hearing about “electric stuff” and the like.    

I get your point; but I hope we hear a lot about Harvey. There isn’t a pitcher in the system with his “stuff”. Just hoping he stays healthy. 

Archived