Chance Sisco and The Future

RVAOsFan

I know a lot of people here have pretty much written off Sisco and his future contributions but it sounds like he looked pretty good behind the plate today and hit a flat out bomb with a couple runners on.  

So my question is, what kind of implications could Sisco’s first couple months have on the future and in particular the number one overall pick? If Chance starts off the season hot could that deter the front office from drafting Adley Rutschman even if he is the best option?

• Upvote 2

Just now, RVAOsFan said:

I know a lot of people here have pretty much written off Sisco and his future contributions but it sounds like he looked pretty good behind the plate today and hit a flat out bomb with a couple runners on.  

So my question is, what kind of implications could Sisco’s first couple months have on the future and in particular the number one overall pick? If Chance starts off the season hot could that deter the front office from drafting Adley Rutschman even if he is the best option?

I've written him off and they should pick the best player available.  Even if Sisco is somehow hitting .400 into June and Rutschman has asserted himself as the #1 pick, they should still take him.

• Upvote 4

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I've written him off and they should pick the best player available.  Even if Sisco is somehow hitting .400 into June and Rutschman has asserted himself as the #1 pick, they should still take him.

Yea, I think you have to take best player available and if it’s Rutschman then that’s the pick. I just think it would be interesting if that all of sudden catcher becomes a position of strength that we were not expecting. 

Could Sisco potentially move positions?

4 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I have not written off Sisco and I think they should take Rutschman if they think he is the best player. The two really aren’t connected.

1 minute ago, RVAOsFan said:

Yea, I think you have to take best player available and if it’s Rutschman then that’s the pick. I just think it would be interesting if that all of sudden catcher becomes a position of strength that we were not expecting. 

Could Sisco potentially move positions?

Well, if it turns out he can hit, he can hit.  First base seems to be a logical move.

Problem is, of course, Davis is there.  But I don't expect Davis to be with this team after July or after the 2019 season at the latest.  Mancini should be at first.  In this unlikely scenario where Sisco has turned himself into a boffo hitter and they draft Rutschman, that might make Mancini expendable.  

18 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

No need to pick Posey with Wieters tearing up the minors.

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, RVAOsFan said:

Pick the best player available, if Sisco is an average to above average regular, he’ll be a significant trade chip. 

Rutschmann is the pick for me right now and there are only two guys I think have a shot at dethroning him if he doesn’t get hurt.

CJ Abrams - HS SS (maybe better fit in Cf)

Prototypical frame, projectable body, bat speed, great hands, feel to hit, reports are that he added strength over the winter and power is starting to show up. 70/80 runner.

The other is a crazy one, y’all can laugh at me for this one.

Seth Johnson - RHP Campbell University

He’s only pitches like 15 official competitive innings at this point, so this is insane. He’s a converted SS who couldn’t hit, he came out in his first D1 start this spring after transferring from a JUCO and shut down a top 15 program. His FB was 94-98mph in 36 degree weather and his curveball was plus regularly. Also threw a slider and changeup. 

He obviously needs to show he can handle longer outings (he was held to 4 innings) and that he can hold his stuff throughout a season, but if he crosses those bridges, it’s better stuff than Mize with a better delivery and without the injury history. That’s without mentioning how new he is to pitching.

This is him in fall ball.

2 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Pick the best player available, if Sisco is an average to above average regular, he’ll be a significant trade chip. 

Rutschmann is the pick for me right now and there are only two guys I think have a shot at dethroning him if he doesn’t get hurt.

CJ Abrams - HS SS (maybe better fit in Cf)

Prototypical frame, projectable body, bat speed, great hands, feel to hit, reports are that he added strength over the winter and power is starting to show up. 70/80 runner.

The other is a crazy one, y’all can laugh at me for this one.

Seth Johnson - RHP Campbell University

He’s only pitches like 15 official competitive innings at this point, so this is insane. He’s a converted SS who couldn’t hit, he came out in his first D1 start this spring after transferring from a JUCO and shut down a top 15 program. His FB was 94-98mph in 36 degree weather and his curveball was plus regularly. Also threw a slider and changeup. 

He obviously needs to show he can handle longer outings (he was held to 4 innings) and that he can hold his stuff throughout a season, but if he crosses those bridges, it’s better stuff than Mize with a better delivery and without the injury history. That’s without mentioning how new he is to pitching.

This is him in fall ball.

What happened to Witt?

26 minutes ago, wildcard said:

What happened to Witt?

Nothing.

I just don’t know what reasonable thing he can do to get to where Rutschman is. I mean sure if he starts showing double plus raw or barrels elite pitching to a ridiculous level, but those are pretty long shot happenings. He’s a really good prospect and he’ll go top 5 picks with perhaps 4 plus tools, but he’s old for his HS class and showed stretches of questionable bat to ball skills, it’s just too much doubt to pass a guy who has passed every test against the best D1 baseball has to offer and with a wood bat for team USA.

To further clarify, I have Witt ahead of the two guys I mentioned at the moment, but I think those two have more pre-draft helium potential.

Abrams has a similar defensive profile to Witt with better speed, hit and is younger with a better frame. He was like 40/45 present raw power, where Witt was a 60. The word is that Abrams got stronger and is a 50/55 with room for more. If he can show that he can get to it in game, that’s a prototypical elite athlete 1-1 profile.

Johnson is just a phenom, he’s been pitching almost no time and he has virtually the best stuff in college baseball with one of the best deliveries. Will it hold up, who knows, but the sky is the limit. I went back and watched DeGrom when he converted to the mound, Johnson is better at this early stage than DeGrom was.

• Upvote 4

7 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

I have not written off Sisco and I think they should take Rutschman if they think he is the best player. The two really aren’t connected.

I agree with this.    My only caveat is that if it was very close between Rutschman and somebody else (Witt?), the fact that Sisco had emerged as a quality starting catcher might make a difference.   But honestly, as pretty as that swing was yesterday, it’s going to take a lot more to persuade me that Sisco has turned things around.   I did enjoy that homer immensely.