Finally: staff that acknowledges velocity being down

interloper

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Roch does rage ban a bit too much, I don't get what thats all about.

He’s an employee of the team, and he has to be careful about what he says, but when someone points out to him he gets very defensive.. You just have to be very careful with him.

The people here are more open, much more tolerant, and appear  to be either more knowledgeable, or aware that they are not more knowledgeable, so at least so far it’s a more pleasant place to be then Camden chat, and it’s more informative than the MASN blogs.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The weird thing to me is I'm assuming the staff would have noticed a significant decline in velocity prior to his first ST game. Wonder if it really did just pop up (no pun intended), if they had already noticed and sent him out anyway, or if he really did just dial it back a bit. Time will tell.

1 minute ago, jabba72 said:

It will be an issue with a week to go in ST, right now I dont think its an issue. Pop could really be dialing it back for whatever reason. 

But doesn't that seem REALLY unlikely? I get that you're not throwing max effort, but when you're throwing 10 mph slower, you're darn near changing the basic way you pitch, right? It's just my assumption, and 6-8 MPH is easier to explain, I guess. Still understand why Luke is worried for sure.

18 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

But doesn't that seem REALLY unlikely? I get that you're not throwing max effort, but when you're throwing 10 mph slower, you're darn near changing the basic way you pitch, right? It's just my assumption, and 6-8 MPH is easier to explain, I guess. Still understand why Luke is worried for sure.

Hyde said they were going to be careful with Pop because of it, so its not like the team isnt reacting. Its too early in ST for me to have any opinion other than agree with Hyde.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, hopefully, but what happens in spring training that has more predictive value than a pitcher’s velocity?

I’d argue nothing other than getting injured.

So if we are going to talk about someone hitting a home run or making some errors, you better believe we should be discussing velocity deltas. 

This isn’t a scientific article, but still a good piece and links Mike Fast’s more scientific study of spring training velocity. Fast’s finding was that pitchers maintain 41% of their spring training delta from the previous season average velocity. That’s pretty significant whether or not it’s injury related.

I forgot to link the article. Here it is.

http://www.sportsonearth.com/article/216587722/velocity-drops-pitchers-in-spring-training_partner_3

4 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I dunno, I just don't expect all the pitchers to air it out their first time out.  I'm glad for transparency, don't get me wrong but...man, 10 mph off in their first appearance, I just don't get the fuss.

It may be nothing, but I watched the velocity of every pitcher in yesterday's game and maybe they were down a few MPH, but no one was even close to down 10 MPH. It's odd for any pitcher to be down that much, even if they are just trying to get work in. Maybe Pop is unique in that regard but it obviously caught the Orioles coaching staff be surprise.

I appreciate Hyde being as Frank as he was about the situation.

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

It may be nothing, but I watched the velocity of every pitcher in yesterday's game and maybe they were down a few MPH, but no one was even close to down 10 MPH. It's odd for any pitcher to be down that much, even if they are just trying to get work in. Maybe Pop is unique in that regard but it obviously caught the Orioles coaching staff be surprise.

I appreciate Hyde being as Frank as he was about the situation.

I hear ya.  But let's just see how he is the next couple times out.  

2 hours ago, Philip said:

He’s an employee of the team, and he has to be careful about what he says, but when someone points out to him he gets very defensive.. You just have to be very careful with him.

The people here are more open, much more tolerant, and appear  to be either more knowledgeable, or aware that they are not more knowledgeable, so at least so far it’s a more pleasant place to be then Camden chat, and it’s more informative than the MASN blogs.

Thanks.  We were around long before those entities and I think our community is rivaled by none. Besides, any blog that includes idiots who try to be first, followed by the idiots who congratulate that person is not a comment section I would read.

We've always rather have a smaller more elite community then a large community full of less knowledgeable fans.

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

The weird thing to me is I'm assuming the staff would have noticed a significant decline in velocity prior to his first ST game. Wonder if it really did just pop up (no pun intended), if they had already noticed and sent him out anyway, or if he really did just dial it back a bit. Time will tell.

It's a good point, and judging by Hyde's comments (I was there during the press conference), the staff was genuinely surprised by the velocity numbers. Who knows? Maybe it's just something Pop does?

Archived