Manny: O's didn't show me any love

TonySoprano

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, interloper said:

Locking up good young players before they are outrageously expensive. We'll see. 

After seeing Arenado, I wonder how feasible this really is anymore. Long past are the days of Longoria getting those deals from Tampa.

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

After seeing Arenado, I wonder how feasible this really is anymore. Long past are the days of Longoria getting those deals from Tampa.

The Orioles tried to extend Manny early in the game for like a $70MM deal.  They were close, I think it was $5-$10MM apart.  Manny's camp didn't budge or negotiate.  2014 came and he got hurt again.  Then it was just too late in the game to sign him at reasonable rate.

6 minutes ago, Mayor McCheese said:

The Orioles tried to extend Manny early in the game for like a $70MM deal.  They were close, I think it was $5-$10MM apart.  Manny's camp didn't budge or negotiate.  2014 came and he got hurt again.  Then it was just too late in the game to sign him at reasonable rate.

I thought rumor had it the two sides have always been way apart.

I think his comments were more referencing the Orioles organization, not the fanbase. Some fans are taking it personally, but it's really not about the fans, IMO. It's about the Orioles not making the same offer to Manny that SD and others did. If you could get a do-over, perhaps they would've kept Markakis and Cruz, let Chris Davis walk and saved that money to put towards Manny. Still, the team got old, and their window slammed shut. Guys like Wieters, Davis, Schoop, Hardy, Jones, Markakis, Britton, Tillman, and Cruz either declined due to age/injury or moved on. And yes, Dan and Buck made some ill-fated moves, exacerbated by Peter Angelos' inexplicable utter refusal to scout and sign international players.

Put that all together, and in the situation they found themselves in, letting Manny leave was probably best, at least after the decisions made in 2014/2015 with letting Cruz and Markakis go and then resigning Chris Davis. At this point, their best option is to completely rebuild, as they're doing with Elias and Hyde. I'm keeping an open mind about the direction of the team at this point, and am cautiously optimistic.

So having said all that, I think Manny made a poor choice in not taking the high road. He's always had a bit of a prima donna attitude combined with a lack of maturity, and at times, hustle. As he gets older and finds himself as a clubhouse leader, maybe that changes, but it's a shame to see in a guy with the immense talent that he has.

1 minute ago, Mayor McCheese said:

I think it was something like the Orioles offered $65MM and Mannys agent wanted the first number to start with a $7X... so they were not that far apart.  The Orioles just balked.

This is the first time I've seen anyone allude to any dollar amounts, so it's hard to know if those numbers are really what was being discussed.  I know at one point I saw a quote from Manny where he compared himself to Mike Trout, and Trout's extension deal was for 6 years and $144.5 million.  We can debate which it is or isn't, or what should or shouldn't have been done until the cows come home.  None of us really know.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/sports/orioles/blog/bs-sp-schmuck-machado-trout-20180630-story.html

Found it.  Hard for me to believe Manny's camp would've taken anywhere in the $70M range unless it was a much shorter term than Trout's, and if that was the case, what's the incentive for the O's to do that?  If they're not buying out at least a couple years of FA, then it doesn't make much sense for them.

2 minutes ago, esmd said:

This is the first time I've seen anyone allude to any dollar amounts, so it's hard to know if those numbers are really what was being discussed.  I know at one point I saw a quote from Manny where he compared himself to Mike Trout, and Trout's extension deal was for 6 years and $144.5 million.  We can debate which it is or isn't, or what should or shouldn't have been done until the cows come home.  None of us really know.

I think maybe in the very very early days of being an Oriole. later the two slides got further apart.

2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'll miss him.

I'm willing to put up with some immaturity and bone-headed behavior if you're an all world talent.  I wrote this last year, he was a jerk but he was OUR jerk.  Guys like Pedroia, Papi...Sox fans loved them, we hated them because they were jerks.  But it felt good to have one of those guys on our team for once.  Sure, throw your bat at Donaldson, take a whole minute to trot around the bases.  Are you a 5+ win player?  Fine by me.  

It doesn't seem like his teammates didn't like him, so there's that, too.  There were never any "anonymous sources" saying how he was a diva, how he wasn't liked.  

NO, NO, NO! Donaldson was in the dugout. 

Can we stop with the fake claim that Manny was flipping his bat at Josh Donaldson because of a grudge. The lefthander Abad had just uncorked two straight fastballs directly at Manny's knees, a righthanded batter,. The pitches were clearly intentional attempts to hit the batter. Manny flipped the bat at Abad. Thing is, it is hard to flip bats accurately especially when it was at afterthought and he did not look to aim.

Alberto Callaspo was playing third base at the time.

10 minutes ago, CharmCityLights said:

Manny is immature (even for a 26 year old). And as he's moved further from Buck's eye, we've seen more and more flashes of that immaturity. It will be interesting to see who could be a positive influence on him in San Diego; or now given his large contract, will he continue in this manner.  

You can be sure that people here will harp on anything he does that could possibly be interpreted in a negative light.   

Archived