Small sample sizes

ChuckS

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
47 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

People seem to confuse a high amount of speed with being a good outfielder.

I’ve watched an awful lot of Mullins in CF, I don’t think his MLB debut was representative of his abilities. 

It's also possible the guys mentioned are actually benefiting from a completely new coaching staff and emphasis on analytics in a positive way and that be a good thing. Regardless of how they performed last season the slate is clean as far as I'm concerned. Let's see what Elias' and co can do with these guys.

6 minutes ago, byrdz said:

It's also possible the guys mentioned are actually benefiting from a completely new coaching staff and emphasis on analytics in a positive way and that be a good thing. Regardless of how they performed last season the slate is clean as far as I'm concerned. Let's see what Elias' and co can do with these guys.

But at the same time let’s remember you can’t make chicken salad out of chicken sxxt. 

54 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

After watching Mullins last summer my question is would he have made the play at all?

Fair enough.    I can tell you I saw some spectacular defense from him in Sarasota last year.    

18 minutes ago, UpstateNYfan said:

Just like Markakis did for years.

Markakis wasn’t fast, but he was fluid.   I rarely saw him make a misstep.    

I do think Hays stumbled slightly before his dive, but it was still a very nice catch.   

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Markakis wasn’t fast, but he was fluid.   I rarely saw him make a misstep.    

I do think Hays stumbled slightly before his dive, but it was still a very nice catch.   

This reminds of brief time Gerardo Parra was an Oriole. He could not handle right field at Camden Yards, and the way the ball bounces off the scoreboard and corner.  

On 3/6/2019 at 7:08 PM, ChuckS said:

I don't remember so many people getting this carried way in previous years over such microscopic sample sizes in a Spring Training.  Maybe it's because we had more established players, but you have posters making declarations on who is going to make the team over 20 Spring Training at bats.  

At the end of the day, I think it's going to come down to where these guys are in their development and what they did last year over a full major league or minor league season rather than how how they look in Spring Training.  

Diaz, Hays, and Santander have all looked great in limited Spring Training at bats but they all also struggled to some degree at Double A last year.  I just can't imagine many scenarios where any of them break with the big league club.   And considering the state of the franchise there is no reason at all to rush them or even risk rushing them.  If they perform well in Norfolk and Bowie they will be back up soon enough. 

I mean I would rather have them hit well in small sample sizes than go 0 for Hyun Su Kim

On 3/7/2019 at 4:35 PM, LookinUp said:

Hays took a bad step right before the dive that really made that catch harder than it should have been. Mullins likely catches that on the run.

Hays explained that the ball crossed in line with the sun just as he reached the warning track and it caused him to stutter step.   http://www.masnsports.com/school-of-roch/2019/03/is-hays-outrunning-the-outfield-competition.html

Archived