Would it be better for us if Orioles sold rights and closed MASN

atomic

3 minutes ago, atomic said:

Seems like the issue is the buyer of the RSN's doesn't get right to stream them:

Meanwhile, bankers confused prospective buyers by suggesting the new owners would also own the crucial digital rights of baseball games, when those rights belong to the league and the teams.

This is a huge topic within MLB. Perhaps MASN will get on board when these issues are resolved. 

I know I have seen talk of steaming rights going back to the teams instead of the networks. 

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Except that there's a delay on the TV side so the radio never quite matches up to the action on the screen.

I did not know that, I always follow along using that app, and I haven’t noticed any lag, if there is for me it’s only a few seconds.

1 hour ago, Mayor McCheese said:

You can get MLB.TV for just the Orioles ($92/year = $7.67/month) and a VPN service ($5/month).... Total cost would be $13/month. 

I am not 100% sure so don't quote me on this but I think for MASN each cable subscriber pays $5-6 for that service in your fees..... maybe even more

I do not think it’s that high.   At least as of 2012, it was $2.12 per month on average.    

There was a ton of information disclosed about MASN’s finances in the court challenge to the arbitration award.     Of course, all that data was from 2011 and projected through 2016, so it’s a bit out of date now.   As I recall, gross revenue was around $200 mm.

27 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I do not think it’s that high.   At least as of 2012, it was $2.12 per month on average.    

There was a ton of information disclosed about MASN’s finances in the court challenge to the arbitration award.     Of course, all that data was from 2011 and projected through 2016, so it’s a bit out of date now.   As I recall, gross revenue was around $200 mm.

Comcast regional sports fee is now $6.75. That may not  be all for MASN because of the Caps and Wizards ,etc.

2 hours ago, Mayor McCheese said:

You can get MLB.TV for just the Orioles ($92/year = $7.67/month) and a VPN service ($5/month).... Total cost would be $13/month. 

I am not 100% sure so don't quote me on this but I think for MASN each cable subscriber pays $5-6 for that service in your fees..... maybe even more

Now I have never done this but I heard it works.  I have a VPN service which I plan to try to use and see if I can get O's games through MLB.TV

If someone has a VPN that works *all year*, do let me know. I tried two last year and none lasted through June. Somehow, MLB (via my web browser, iPhone At Bat app and also on iPad and Apple TV) eventually was able to detect my in-market location, thus blacking me out. And I don't plan to buy a new wifi router to go that route as on a quick glance at prices, that is more expensive than a year of MLB-TV. 

55 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Except that there's a delay on the TV side so the radio never quite matches up to the action on the screen.

51 minutes ago, Philip said:

I did not know that, I always follow along using that app, and I haven’t noticed any lag, if there is for me it’s only a few seconds.

When Palmer isn't on the MASN broadcasts, I have the O's radio feed going. By pausing my DVR (or speeding it up if I didn't time it right) I can get the action to match what's on the radio feed. I dropped about half of my DirecTV package (and a couple of other add ons) this winter as the sports tier made no sense as the only sports I really watched was O's baseball and thus only April - September. So that first sentence of mine should actually be in the past tense. 

16 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

If someone has a VPN that works *all year*, do let me know. I tried two last year and none lasted through June. Somehow, MLB (via my web browser, iPhone At Bat app and also on iPad and Apple TV) eventually was able to detect my in-market location, thus blacking me out. And I don't plan to buy a new wifi router to go that route as on a quick glance at prices, that is more expensive than a year of MLB-TV. 

I usually just go to reddit and pick a stream there. You  might have to go through a couple of streams before you find one that works.  Use my phone and then use blue tooth to go to TV..  Total cost $0. 

18 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Yeah, I had to switch VPNs last year, it was annoying to figure out which one worked and which didn't.

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

I usually just go to reddit and pick a stream there. You  might have to go through a couple of streams before you find one that works.  Use my phone and then use blue tooth to go to TV..  Total cost $0. 

I've only been to Reddit when something I have tried to Google leads me there. So on any given day, you just do a search there for "Orioles" or "MLB Baseball" and see if the current game is streaming? 

1 minute ago, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, I had to switch VPNs last year, it was annoying to figure out which one worked and which didn't.

You would  think if someone is willing to pay for VPN on top of MLBTv cost to stream games MLB would figure out how to get all that money instead of trying to stop you.  I would willingly pay for MLB TV as well if they showed Orioles games to me. 

1 minute ago, atomic said:

You would  think if someone is willing to pay for VPN on top of MLBTv cost to stream games MLB would figure out how to get all that money instead of trying to stop you.  I would willingly pay for MLB TV as well if they showed Orioles games to me. 

Blackout rules are dumb.  Especially on a platform like MLB.TV 

21 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

One I tried was UnBlockUs. And the other was Hola. Both were duds after a couple of months. I am keeping my eye on these two links and am considering trying this one (with the steps given by the other link). 

https://www.expressvpn.com/support/vpn-setup/stream-to-apple-tv-with-dns/

https://www.comparitech.com/blog/vpn-privacy/mlb-tv-blackout-workaround-vpn/

2 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

I've only been to Reddit when something I have tried to Google leads me there. So on any given day, you just do a search there for "Orioles" or "MLB Baseball" and see if the current game is streaming? 

Search: MLB Streams Reddit.   There will be a post for each day. Under each day a post for each game.  Some of them will be bad links like with a bunch of pop-ups  Once you find a good streamer you can just go their feeds the next day so you don't get people just spamming.  

Anyway it would be easier if MLB TV would just take my  money.  

Archived