Why Pedro Arajuo shouldn’t make the OD roster

sportsfan8703

I don’t think he should make the team just because he’s a rule 5 hold over from a different regime. To me, the 17 days on the roster until he becomes “ours” is irrelevant, because I don’t even think he belongs on the 40 man roster. Even with the three options he’d have.

We’re in a much different situation than we were In 11/17. That was before the selloff. In that same time frame we’ve seen our own guys graduate to be merit being on the 40 man roster. 

He turns 26 in July. He’s never had success above A ball. He’s really not going to eat a bunch of innings. His FB is average at best. I don’t see a ceiling anything more than a 1IP, B squad reliever. We have better. 

I’d rank his value as a reliever behind Givens, Castro, Bleier, Scott, Fry, Hess, Karns, Yefry, Means, Rogers, Carrol, Phillips, Pop, Ortiz, Tate, Kline, Ynoa, etc....  

18 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think he should make the team just because he’s a rule 5 hold over from a different regime. To me, the 17 days on the roster until he becomes “ours” is irrelevant, because I don’t even think he belongs on the 40 man roster. Even with the three options he’d have.

We’re in a much different situation than we were In 11/17. That was before the selloff. In that same time frame we’ve seen our own guys graduate to be merit being on the 40 man roster. 

He turns 26 in July. He’s never had success above A ball. He’s really not going to eat a bunch of innings. His FB is average at best. I don’t see a ceiling anything more than a 1IP, B squad reliever. We have better. 

I’d rank his value as a reliever behind Givens, Castro, Bleier, Scott, Fry, Hess, Karns, Yefry, Means, Rogers, Carrol, Phillips, Pop, Ortiz, Tate, Kline, Ynoa, etc....  

He never had success over A+ because he never got a chance he should have been pitching in AA and AAA last year and I think if he is he does well just how he did well at the lower levels although not much time on the mound a few years.  In 2017 he had 66 innings and 87ks which is very good.  I don’t know if he will make it in the majors but for about 12 games it is worth the try if they feel like he can help in. 

If Elias and his team believe that Arajuo can develop into a major league asset, they will keep him.  17 days isn't going to cost the Orioles a playoff spot this year.  Your opinion is certainly as good as mine, but I'm OK with whatever Elias decides.

I agree with the basic concept of the OP, i.e., if the guy wouldn’t belong on our 40-man roster but for his Rule 5 status, there’s no point in keeping him on the major league roster for 17 days.   But I don’t really have an opinion on whether Araujo belongs on our 40-man roster.   And, I suppose that even if he doesn’t belong, there’s a chance that after 17 days we can claim someone else, DFA him and that he might slip through waivers.

1 hour ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Excluding someone from the roster because different management hired him... some of you don’t live in reality.

My main point is that he’s just not good. The point about him being picked up by another regime was just one of the 10+ supplementary points. 

While we might not make the playoffs this year, the first 12-15 games of the year will likely be our most “high leverage” of the season. Why roll with a dude just because we’d be “stealing” him from another organization?  

Escobar vs Alberto is a straight 40 man roster battle. We likely have to add a C for OD because Wynns is hurt. So who are you getting rid of the 40 man roster over Arajuo?  Wilkerson?  Wright?  Rogers?  Phillips?

1 hour ago, Number5 said:

If Elias and his team believe that Arajuo can develop into a major league asset, they will keep him.  17 days isn't going to cost the Orioles a playoff spot this year.  Your opinion is certainly as good as mine, but I'm OK with whatever Elias decides.

I agree with you.

Just now, Philip said:

Meh. It’s 17 days. Let the guy have his pension and healthcare.

besides, even though he debuted yesterday, Bleier may need some minors time to finish getting ready.

He’s already got his pension and healthcare from his time on the roster last year.   

If you think he has a decent chance to be a solid or better reliever within he next year or two, you keep him on the OD roster. Personally, I like his potential. Not concerned, at all, about his lack of experience above A ball or his age. That said, I trust Elias and Hyde to make that call. I think he’s staying. 

Wasn't Aruajo touted to have a mid to high 90's fastball when he selected him in the Rule V?  Maybe I'm confusing him with the other Rule V reliever we drafted a few years back that fizzled out. 

I see no reason to hold onto him if he's not one of the seven best relievers on the roster.  He has a good change up, but very weak fastball by today's bullpen standards and spotty command.  This appears to be another Rule V bust selected by the previous regime. 

16 minutes ago, ChuckS said:

Wasn't Aruajo touted to have a mid to high 90's fastball when he selected him in the Rule V?  Maybe I'm confusing him with the other Rule V reliever we drafted a few years back that fizzled out. 

I see no reason to hold onto him if he's not one of the seven best relievers on the roster.  He has a good change up, but very weak fastball by today's bullpen standards and spotty command.  This appears to be another Rule V bust selected by the previous regime. 

No, he always was a low 90s FB guy without much command, he had a nasty breaking ball which he seemed to lose feel or confidence in when he started throwing the changeup frequently.

I thought it was pretty clear from 2017 minor league film that Cortes and Mesa were > Araujo. Mesa was broken in Spring Training and his velocity was down in the mid to upper 80s and ended up missing most of 2018. Cortes stopped using his shutter-stop delivery and was sent back after a couple of bad outings. The stuff is probably too lite to play at the MLB level anyways, I still think he'll probably make it back to the majors eventually. 

Archived