TT: Opening Day roster starting to take shape, but questions remain

Tony-OH

Just now, Moose Milligan said:

Yeah, Stewart is a bad body athlete.  Doesn't look like he should be able to move like he can, but he does.  

I'm glad there are some tough decisions to be made this spring.  

It sure beats last year. Can’t wait to see much more athleticism on the field, especially as the year progresses.  

Really hope Martin shines defensively. 

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t understand playing Santander Opening Day over Stewart unless they see something they really think is real with Santander. He did nothing at AA last year. I know they tweaked some mechanics with his swing but still. 

They need to give Mullins a real long look before they move him off CF. 

12 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Santander was hurt a lot last year.  I've never been a big Stewart fan but I still think RF is up for grabs.  Until Diaz is ready or they put Hays there.  

Correct. Knee injury and an infection. Think he missed a month or 2.

28 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I think Mullins is the OD CF.  I think Hays gets sent to the minors (wildcard has a stroke) and Mullins gets whatever amount of time to show if he can hack it or not in CF until the time comes to call up Hays when they're done playing the clock game.  

Is that a wish or a prediction?

This is not rocket science.   One guy is hitting for a 500 OPS the other for 1.000.   Mullins goes down, figures out how to hit lefties and comes back a stronger players.

13 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I am not saying Stewart is anything special but he is older and has played a full year at AAA. Just think this is his time.  

Maybe last September was Stewart's time and now his time is over.  Stewart was a long shot to make the team as more than a 4th OF (but he's defensively limited too).  Really poor pick by the O's, IMO.  Shouldn't pick a player who has to make a lot of changes to have a chance as a regular player in the first round. 

1 minute ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Maybe last September was Stewart's time and now his time is over.  Stewart was a long shot to make the team as more than a 4th OF (but he's defensively limited too).  Really poor pick by the O's, IMO.  Shouldn't pick a player who has to make a lot of changes to have a chance as a regular player in the first round. 

He put up half a win in 40 at bats!

He was the only thing worth watching last September.

890 OPS, 143 OPS+.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

He put up half a win in 40 at bats!

He was the only thing worth watching last September.

890 OPS, 143 OPS+.

Hasn’t done terribly this spring, either.    But it looks to me as if the Orioles are hoping to be a little more athletic.    

I don’t put that much weight on who makes the OD roster.    If Stewart performs well at Norfolk, he’ll get more chances.    And if other guys who make the roster initially don’t perform well, they can easily be sent back down.   Tons of flexibility there.   

14 minutes ago, wildcard said:

This is not rocket science.   One guy is hitting for a 500 OPS the other for 1.000.   Mullins goes down, figures out how to hit lefties and comes back a stronger players.

It’s spring training. 

Why would you want their best defender in CF learning in the minors?  He has experience. He isn’t 21 years old. 

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hasn’t done terribly this spring, either.    But it looks to me as if the Orioles are hoping to be a little more athletic.    

I don’t put that much weight on who makes the OD roster.    If Stewart performs well at Norfolk, he’ll get more chances.    And if other guys who make the roster initially don’t perform well, they can easily be sent back down.   Tons of flexibility there.   

It will definitely be easier to find room for Stewart when Davis and Trumbo are gone. Elias wants to get away from having a roster full of unathleletic players.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If it’s Hays over Stewart than he is a better glove. 

I know Stewart does not have the arm for RF but Santander isn’t more athletic than Stewart.  

Stewart may get more chances, no doubt. That said, this isn’t a good sign for him.  

18 minutes ago, wildcard said:

It's a prediction, chill.  Take a joke.

In theory, I agree with you but I don't think that's going to happen.

Archived