Embarrassing day for the O's

wildcard

Twins had split squad games today.   The major league team went to play the Nationals.  The O's faced the Twins AAA team.  O's lost 7-6.

Bundy's fastball looked hittable at 90-92mph.    He threw a few good sliders.  He went 5 innings but really struggled in the 5th.  He gave up 4 runs.

There is no reason to stop running when he ball goes to Mullins.  Mullins played left.  The ball was hit to medium left with a  runner on 2nd.   The runner never stopped at third and scored.    Same thing happened in the Yankee game with Mullins playing center.   The runner went first to third with ease on a ball to medium to shallow center.   Mullins also had one at bat vs a lefties.   Very weak swing.  He did hit a homer though earlier..

Yacabonis walked one and gave up 3 single in a inning plus.   One runs scored.  He did not look sharp.

Kline pumped 96-98mph fastballs which the hitters fouled off.   He finally got one hitter on what looked like a poor change up down the middle.  I didn't see him throw a good breaking ball but maybe I missed them.  This is the second loss for him after the walk off homer vs the Yankees.   He looks like he is headed to AAA.

Fry pitched a nice 8th inning.

Martin has stopped hitting .  He is 0 for his last 13 which drop his OPS from 893 to 704.  

Smith overran a ball in left.

On the bright side Peterson hit a 3 run homers and Davis hit a line drive single to left.  He actually looked like he was trying to hit to left.  Hays hit an RBI double.

Reinheimer  hit a single in his only at bat to rise his batting average to .455 with a 1.137 OPS.   He will probably go to AAA but could be the reason the O's don't keep Escobar on the 25 man roster.

That's  what  I saw today.  What did you see?

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yea but to be fair our team is also mostly a AAA team. 

We will be OK with Mullins as long as no one else notices he has a candy arm. Oh wait...

Bundy  ran out of gas trying to pitch the 5th. 

13 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Twins had split squad games today.   The major league team went to play the Nationals.  The O's faced the Twins AAA team.  O's lost 7-6.

Bundy's fastball looked hittable at 90-92mph.    He threw a few good sliders.  He went 5 innings but really struggled in the 5th.  He gave up 4 runs.

There is no reason to stop running when he ball goes to Mullins.  Mullins played left.  The ball was hit to medium left with a  runner on 2nd.   The runner never stopped at third and scored.    Same thing happened in the Yankee game with Mullins playing center.   The runner went first to third with ease on a ball to medium to shallow center.   Mullins also had one at bat vs a lefties.   Very weak swing.  He did hit a homer though earlier..

Yacabonis walked one and gave up 3 single in a inning plus.   One runs scored.  He did not look sharp.

Kline pumped 96-98mph fastballs which the hitters fouled off.   He finally got one hitter on what looked like a poor change up down the middle.  I didn't see him throw a good breaking ball but maybe I missed them.  This is the second loss for him after the walk off homer vs the Yankees.   He looks like he is headed to AAA.

Fry pitched a nice 8th inning.

Martin has stopped hitting .  He is 0 for his last 13 which drop his OPS from 893 to 704.  

Smith overran a ball in left.

On the bright side Peterson hit a 3 run homers and Davis hit a line drive single to left.  He actually looked like he was trying to hit to left.  Hays hit an RBI double.

Reinheimer  hit a single in his only at bat to rise his batting average to .455 with a 1.137 OPS.   He will probably go to AAA but could be the reason the O's don't keep Escobar on the 25 man roster.

That's  what  I saw today.  What did you see?

Wildcard it's just spring training. I'm sorry but I'm not going to get worked up when the team loses to a 3A team. Things happen. 

9 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

Wildcard it's just spring training. I'm sorry but I'm not going to get worked up when the team loses to a 3A team. Things happen. 

They sure did.  The object is to play well and get ready for the season.  Especially with two weeks left in ST.   Players make mistakes now and they may end in the minors.

14 minutes ago, Natty said:

Yea but to be fair our team is also mostly a AAA team. 

We will be OK with Mullins as long as no one else notices he has a candy arm. Oh wait...

Bundy  ran out of gas trying to pitch the 5th. 

7 of the 9 position player were either starters for the O's last year or are project to be starter this season.

Bundy is a veteran starter at this point.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

7 of the 9 position player were either starters for the O's last year or are project to be starter this season.

Bundy is a veteran starter at this point.

I am just shocked he has stayed healthy but we will see if he improves this year with the new regime.

I wasn't impressed with any of the relievers that I saw.  Bundy looked like he did in the second half of last season. 

This is going to be a 100-110 loss team most likely, so I think we need to keep our expectations in check.  No point in harping on embarrassing play when really that should be the expectation. 

Anyone who is expecting these Rule V guys coming out of Double A not to experience significant struggles at the plate this season are kidding themselves.  Martin and Jackson are both most likely going to be .600 OPS bats this season and black holes in the lineup. 

I didn’t see the game.     I’m not that worried about losing, but some of the elements you describe bothered me.    Good for you for pointing out Martin’s recent slump — it was to be expected that he’d come down to earth, but now we’re seeing the reality that he’s probably not going to hit much.   I’d still stick with him if the glove is as advertised.   

1 minute ago, ChuckS said:

I wasn't impressed with any of the relievers that I saw.  Bundy look like he did in the second half of last season. 

This is going to be a 100-110 loss team most likely, so I think we need to keep our expectations in check.  No point in harping on embarrassing play when really that should be the expectation. 

Anyone who is expecting these Rule V guys coming out of Double A not to experience significant struggles at the plate are kidding themselves.  Martin and Jackson are both most likely going to be .600 OPS bats this season. 

I agree  on Martin.   If he just plays good defense that will be a plus.  I just cited his  0 for because he had been hitting so well.

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see the game.     I’m not that worried about losing, but some of the elements you describe bothered me.    Good for you for pointing out Martin’s recent slump — it was to be expected that he’d come down to earth, but now we’re seeing the reality that he’s probably not going to hit much.   I’d still stick with him if the glove is as advertised.   

Your priorities are all screwed up.   You can't let work get in the way of watching the O's.  But it does get replayed at 7 pm.

2 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Your priorities are all screwed up.   You can't let work get in the way of watching the O's.  But it does get replayed at 7 pm.

I may watch some then, though I may decide the ACC tournament trumps a spring training game when I already know the outcome.  

Yep. Right on cue after asking Luke about his swing path, Martin has two weak shallow flyballs and a K. Yeesh.

Kline's fastball is firm but straight as hell. Gonna need something else to hang in the bigs. Compare to a fastball like Brach's. 

Bundy's slider was back and looking good. But he threw more than a few 88mph (!!) fastballs. Completely gassed by 70 pitches as his command abandoned him in the 5th, but that's normal for this time of spring.

Mullins is a platoon guy IMO. Doesn't mean I'm not a fan but that's what I see. I do think he's having good ABs.

Hays is a dude.

Sisco I thought didn't look great behind the dish today and he's ice cold at the plate.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I may watch some then, though I may decide the ACC tournament trumps a spring training game when I already know the outcome.  

Well, you know the outcome on the ACC games also. The Terps are not going to win.

Archived