Os may limit 3rd time thru the order for SP

interloper

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
31 minutes ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Is a 9 man bullpen crazy?  Or is it just so crazy it might work?  ?

I think the next revolutionary strategy is to carry so many pitchers that you can't field a full lineup.  You'll just go without third baseman sometimes so you can have 17 pitchers.  Limit the exposure to the first time through the order so the guys coming back to the bench can't bring the guys coming up any helpful hints and tips on the pitcher.

10 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I think the next revolutionary strategy is to carry so many pitchers that you can't field a full lineup.  You'll just go without third baseman sometimes so you can have 17 pitchers.  Limit the exposure to the first time through the order so the guys coming back to the bench can't bring the guys coming up any helpful hints and tips on the pitcher.

I think the next revolutionary strategy might be to actually have good players.

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

That's a big change from Buck trying to get the starter to go 6 innings to save the pen and giving up a bunch of run in the fifth.

I don’t feel Buck was overly fixated on getting his starters to go six innings.    We probably had our starters go 6+ less than just about any other team over the years.    

3 minutes ago, theocean said:

I think the next revolutionary strategy might be to actually have good players.

But imagine if you have good pitchers who only have to face one or two batters.  Who needs fielders?  Who needs batters?  You just strike everyone out and your catcher only has to drive in one run to win.  How good would Clayton Kershaw be if he had Jesse Orosco's usage pattern?  37 innings, 102 strikeouts, three hits.

So if our starters pitch a perfect game they can get through six innings. 

I understand the principle of it but I don't see this being a hard line policy.  It would result in way too many starters being pulled in the fourth and fifth innings and will completely tax the bullpen.  

1 hour ago, BRobinsonfan said:

Is a 9 man bullpen crazy?  Or is it just so crazy it might work?  ?

At 18 batters faced per game, maybe you only need 4 starters...

What I like about the opener in combination with TTOP minimization is you can still go for 22-23 batters faced for your Yarbrough/Chirinos type guy, but you change the guys getting a 3rd look at him from Mookie Betts and JD Martinez to Brock Holt and Christian Vazquez.

I think in a few cases the ceiling of our high minors SP's for the next good team are maybe 100-inning guys.  Some of it is a byproduct of the Chris Archer July trade, but it was an interesting stat I hadn't heard from last season that Tampa had only TWO pitchers over 100 innings.

44 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I don’t feel Buck was overly fixated on getting his starters to go six innings.    We probably had our starters go 6+ less than just about any other team over the years.    

Not for lack of trying, I don't think. Seemed to me that Buck would often send starters out in the 6th inning to coax a few more batters out of them. I remember it backfiring often.

6 minutes ago, Es4M11 said:

Not for lack of trying, I don't think. Seemed to me that Buck would often send starters out in the 6th inning to coax a few more batters out of them. I remember it backfiring often.

When they were clearly toast the previous inning, even to our untrained eyes. He seemed to do this with Tillman a bunch in particular. 

Then again, his bullpen stayed healthy and mostly effective. So pick your poison I guess. 

You need multiple inning relievers to be able to do this effectively. Basically you need a couple bridgemen who can cover 2 or even 3 innings. Make guys like Yacobonis, Castro, and even guys like Ynoa more valuable. Rogers and Means could also be these kind of guys.

16 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

At 18 batters faced per game, maybe you only need 4 starters...

What I like about the opener in combination with TTOP minimization is you can still go for 22-23 batters faced for your Yarbrough/Chirinos type guy, but you change the guys getting a 3rd look at him from Mookie Betts and JD Martinez to Brock Holt and Christian Vazquez.

I think in a few cases the ceiling of our high minors SP's for the next good team are maybe 100-inning guys.  Some of it is a byproduct of the Chris Archer July trade, but it was an interesting stat I hadn't heard from last season that Tampa had only TWO pitchers over 100 innings.

Tampa starters only had 624 innings pitched. Next closest was 805.1 innings pitched for the Angel starters in 2018.

Archived