Clancy the beer vendor gets his own beer

Going Underground

Who cares about service time or roster cuts?  This is important.

As if it weren’t enough that he’s the most exuberant and beloved beer vendor at Oriole Park at Camden Yards, Fancy Clancy is about to have a beer named after him that’ll be available just across the street, at Sliders Bar & Grille.

“He’s such a cool dude, and everybody loves him so,” Art Major, owner of Winchester, Va.-based Escutcheon Brewing, says of Clarence Haskett, far better known as Fancy Clancy, a fixture at Orioles games for more than four decades, since they were playing at old Memorial Stadium. “It was, like, ‘Man, Clancy deserves to have his own beer, he really does.’”

So Escutcheon did. The result will go on sale March 30 at Sliders on Washington Boulevard, just across the street from Oriole Park. “It’s not an IPA, it’s not a trendy beer, it’s not going to go viral,” says Major. “It’s the kind of beer you want to drink when you’re at a baseball game...It’s like 4.5 percent alcohol, so you can drink several of them and be OK.”

For now, Fancy Clancy will be available only at Sliders and at Escutcheon’s tap room in Winchester. But Major foresees a bright future for his pilsner. “I was kind of surprised how many bars and restaurants have been saying, ‘Man, we want that for sure,” he says. “It’s amazing how many people know Clancy. He’s certainly made himself a legend.”

https://www.baltimoresun.com/entertainment/dining/baltimore-diner-blog/bs-fe-fancy-clancy-20190318-story.html?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

9 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

If you show up in those, the first round is on me!

I love board shorts and $40 + shipping (and colors) aren't too outrageous to earn a $5 draft of Fancy Clancy!  I'm not sure when I make my hiatus to Baltimore but perhaps the week after the home season is complete (and Sliders is emptier) on way to OC, where it may be warm enough to actually use them!  ?

9 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

That reminds me of a pair of shorts that I have (BTW, I'd actually wear those Orioles shorts.)

hdH3O4y.jpg

o

The Orioles finished that season with a record of 90 - 71 with one rainout, and came in 4th place out of 7 teams in the AL East.

o

11 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

Reminds me of a pair of shorts I have (btw, I'd actually wear those O's shorts). 

hdH3O4y.jpg

2 minutes ago, OFFNY said:

o

The Orioles finished that season with a record of 90 - 71 with one rainout, and came in 4th place out of 7 teams in the AL East.

o

I remember that summer well. I was a sophomore on the team that won the baseball 4A state championship in '78 but also memorable for a long summer in the tobacco fields. One week had several days of 100 degrees plus. When we were topping (or "suckering" as some call it) tobacco, I was always in a race to get to the end of the row first with some other co-workers who were teammates of mine. The sooner I got finished, the sooner I could get a sip or water and a few extra minutes of recovery time. I pretended to be the O's and my closest rival was the Red Sox. Amazing how stupid little competitions were when one is a teen. And yes, Some Girls was a big part of the soundtrack for that summer. 

21 hours ago, NashLumber said:

I remember that summer well. I was a sophomore on the team that won the baseball 4A state championship in '78 but also memorable for a long summer in the tobacco fields. One week had several days of 100 degrees plus. When we were topping (or "suckering" as some call it) tobacco, I was always in a race to get to the end of the row first with some other co-workers who were teammates of mine. The sooner I got finished, the sooner I could get a sip or water and a few extra minutes of recovery time. I pretended to be the O's and my closest rival was the Red Sox. Amazing how stupid little competitions were when one is a teen. And yes, Some Girls was a big part of the soundtrack for that summer. 

Check out the tap pulls!  ... and Faraway Eyes has always been one of my fave under the radar Jagger joys!  I rode through Bakersfield a few years back and that song came into my head.

12 hours ago, bobmc said:

Check out the tap pulls!  ... and Faraway Eyes has always been one of my fave under the radar Jagger joys!  I rode through Bakersfield a few years back and that song came into my head.

If I were a beer vendor, I think this would be the absolute pinnacle as an honor one could get. Very happy for him. 

21 minutes ago, NashLumber said:

If I were a beer vendor, I think this would be the absolute pinnacle as an honor one could get. Very happy for him. 

Haskett, who often frequents Sliders Bar & Grille since co-owner Mark Sheubrooks is an old classmate of his from Lansdowne High School, remembers it a little differently.

“I was saying, ‘Man, nobody is gonna buy my beer,’” he says with a laugh. “People know me on the first-base side, but I don’t know how many people care about me beyond that point. But when we brought the idea to Mark and [his daughter] Rachel, they were like, ‘Hell yes, let’s try it.’”

With that in mind, Haskett has big plans for the Fancy Clancy Pilsner. He’d like to see it end up in cans at the stadium, a real full-circle moment for the long-time vendor.

“As you get older, you think about what you’ve done in the past,” Haskett says. “After 45 years, this makes you feel appreciated—people are really giving me a little respect. If this beer takes off, hey look out.”

https://www.baltimoremagazine.com/section/sports/fancy-clancy-pilsner-to-debut-at-sliders-on-opening-day

Archived