The talent influx could arrive quickly this season and next

interloper

Just for fun, taking some guesses on who could debut and when. And really, it's a lot of pretty impact guys the next two years. In particular the offense could make a huge leap by 2020 and there is some pitching upside there as well.

1. Diaz

2. Hays

3. Stewart

4. Kline

5. Some lesser prospects like Carroll/Santander/Means

1. Harvey

2. Kremer

3. Mountcastle

4. Akin

5. McKenna

6. Pop

Hall? Probably still too soon.

I'm sure there are others, but that's a significant change to the current team just based on projecting the best of our home grown players. What's interesting to me is the team could be (maybe) decent in 2020 with Rutschman and Hall knocking on the door for 2021. 

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You add Hays and Diaz and it's still kind of a meh lineup, but then you pop Mountcastle in there and it gets pretty interesting, IMO. Three young, athletic dudes with excellent hit tools and power all arriving together is nothing to sneeze at. 

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mountcastle this year if he's swinging well and they have worked out what they want to do with him defensively. If he's a 1B, I'd much rather see a Mountcastle/Mancini platoon at 1B and DH than Trumbo and Davis. The former can be dealt if he's swinging well or released if otherwise. Davis will have shown by then if there's any chance he reverts to a some-what useable piece. I'm betting no and by that point, you have to cut bait.

Honestly, save McKenna, I see this year as the year we introduce position players and next year as the year pitchers start filtering into the mix.

1 minute ago, jamalshw said:

I wouldn't be surprised to see Mountcastle this year if he's swinging well and they have worked out what they want to do with him defensively. If he's a 1B, I'd much rather see a Mountcastle/Mancini platoon at 1B and DH than Trumbo and Davis. The former can be dealt if he's swinging well or released if otherwise. Davis will have shown by then if there's any chance he reverts to a some-what useable piece. I'm betting no and by that point, you have to cut bait.

Honestly, save McKenna, I see this year as the year we introduce position players and next year as the year pitchers start filtering into the mix.

No real disagreements here. I just think Mountcastle is going to depend on if they can ditch Trumbo and also if they wanna play service time games with him. But otherwise, I could absolutely see a September call-up.

Still kind of a whatever team with all those guys reaching their realistic ceilings. I can't really see this team competing until they have DL Hall, Grayson Rodriguez, and the 2019 First Overall Pick ready to go - and that's hoping they all become what they hopefully can be.

2 minutes ago, interloper said:

No real disagreements here. I just think Mountcastle is going to depend on if they can ditch Trumbo and also if they wanna play service time games with him. But otherwise, I could absolutely see a September call-up.

I'm sure the O's can find someone that wants a competitive balance B pick.

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

To me, it's about defense. If they think they can still turn him into a 3B, he'll stay down until his defense is passable. I don't see it given they've already stated he's getting some time at 1B. I don't think they want him to be a DH at this point (at least exclusively) so if they want him at 1B in a split of 1B and DH with Mancini, I think we see him. If they want him at 3B or think he's ultimately better served in the OF, he stays down. Of course, this also all depends on his hitting. If he's not hitting well he stays down regardless.

25 minutes ago, interloper said:

Just for fun, taking some guesses on who could debut and when. And really, it's a lot of pretty impact guys the next two years. In particular the offense could make a huge leap by 2020 and there is some pitching upside there as well.

1. Diaz

2. Hays

3. Stewart

4. Kline

5. Some lesser prospects like Carroll/Santander/Means 

1. Harvey 

2. Kremer

3. Mountcastle

4. Akin

5. McKenna

6. Pop

Hall? Probably still too soon.

I'm sure there are others, but that's a significant change to the current team just based on projecting the best of our home grown players. What's interesting to me is the team could be (maybe) decent in 2020 with Rutschman and Hall knocking on the door for 2021. 

Substitute Santander for Stewart. Stewart may never see the majors again, I think the new management have pegged him (correctly) for a guy who has no ML level skills. He was a wasted first round pick by the old regime.

Just now, webbrick2010 said:

Substitute Santander for Stewart. Stewart may never see the majors again, I think the new management have pegged him (correctly) for a guy who has no ML level skills. He was a wasted first round pick by the old regime.

For a guy with no ML skills he did a heck of a job putting up half a win in only 17 games last year. 

Hitters that could qualify as a talent influx:

Mountcastle, Hays, Diaz and maybe McKenna, though I think he's a little farther away. 

Pitchers are harder to find, at least in terms of starters. I could imagine Kremer and Akin coming up and sticking. I personally think Knight is the guy who might rise fastest this year and next in terms of being a SP. I'm not sure whether any of them will be better than a #3 starter though. Not very exciting, unless the new staff somehow gets them (or others) to make a developmental leap.

55 minutes ago, interloper said:

Biggest holes in 2020 (other than SP question marks) are still the MI positions. Not a lot of impact players in the minors there. 

Gotta hope that Martin is a decent interim solution.    Maybe Jackson too.   

Archived