O's Claim Catcher Pedro Severino

wildcard

8 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

I guess I pull the trigger to keep up appearances as the board's leading Severino skeptic.

Well, that’s the issue.   That could be the zenith of his value. 

For the record:   I do not expect Severino to be an .800+ OPS guy.   But I do think he is going to far surpass his career major/minor league ISO of about .100 from now on.  He’s just too big and strong to hit like he’s Richie Martin power-wise, and he seems to have figured out how to hit the ball with some authority when he hits it.    

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, SteveA said:

And everyone thought Trey would be our token All Star.   No one was predicting Severino!

Hopefully the next homestand the Orioles start pimping votes for him too.

VOTE FOR PEDRO

Nobody predicted the Spanish Inquisition either, and we see what happened there.  He's gonna need a lot more at bats to get consideration.    

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

Nobody predicted the Spanish Inquisition either, and we see what happened there.  He's gonna need a lot more at bats to get consideration.    

We’re only talking about who will be the Orioles’ rep, right?    No way anybody on this team is going to start the ASG.

47 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Nobody wants to hear this, but a 30-game hot streak doesn't transform a waiver wire pickup into a basket of prospects.

You really didn't need to be snarky. OF COURSE there has to be a market for a player in order for them to trade him. That's why I said they should be "looking" to trade him. 

4 hours ago, wildbillhiccup said:

Completely agree. And honestly short of Sisco and "maybe" Means no one on the current roster will be part of the long term future of this team. They should be leveraging those players to stock the minors with high upside arms. 

Sisco is not going to be part of any  above .500 team unless he fixes his problems.

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

And everyone thought Trey would be our token All Star.   No one was predicting Severino!

Hopefully the next homestand the Orioles start pimping votes for him too.

VOTE FOR PEDRO

Sanchez is going to win the vote and deserves it. Severino's best chance is to make it as a backup.

9 minutes ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The "so" is that all teams, even those well over .500, have players with problems.  

I’m just going to keep an open mind about Sisco.    Clearly he has to be a decent hitter at the big league level to stick in the majors. He didn’t hit last year, and had some hiccups even at AAA.  But he’s been raking down there the last 6 weeks or so and has a very good MiL track record with the bat overall.    So, we’ll see.

As to the glove/arm, he’s never going to be above average but I think his defects are of pretty minor importance if he hits.

With Severino playing as well as he is, I’m nervous that Sisco’s playing time will be so sporadic that he may have trouble staying in a groove.   But the good news there is that Severino is playing well — can’t complain about that.   

• 3 weeks later...

I hope Severino stays an Oriole for a long time. I know...Rutschman. But perhaps Adley moves to 1B with that power bat. Severino might be my favorite Oriole catcher of all time. (I know some of you are going to hammer me for that.) I love the energy, passion and athleticism he plays with. The way he’s hitting, I’m sure the Nats are kicking themselves. He’s fun to watch. 

20 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I hope Severino stays an Oriole for a long time. I know...Rutschman. But perhaps Adley moves to 1B with that power bat. Severino might be my favorite Oriole catcher of all time. (I know some of you are going to hammer me for that.) I love the energy, passion and athleticism he plays with. The way he’s hitting, I’m sure the Nats are kicking themselves. He’s fun to watch. 

He has 148 at bats with the Orioles.  I would say you are going overboard on a small sample size and disregarding everything he has done in the past.  Hopefully he keeps hitting well.  He could be our all star representative he he keeps playing well.

We are 11th in the majors with WAR from the catcher position. Our best position by far

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

He has 148 at bats with the Orioles.  I would say you are going overboard on a small sample size and disregarding everything he has done in the past.  Hopefully he keeps hitting well.  He could be our all star representative he he keeps playing well.

We are 11th in the majors with WAR from the catcher position. Our best position by far

At the very least if Severino can hit .240 with some pop, the Orioles have a catcher who can bridge the gap for the next couple years while Adley progresses through the farm system.

1 minute ago, atomic said:

Overboard? I don’t think so. I love the way he plays. No matter the sample size, really. Hitting the way he is, yeah, SSS. I’m not thinking he will continue to hit this way for years, as the league will adjust to him some and he’ll need to make adjustments. I do think he’ll at least hit enough to be a solid average offensive producer at catcher. He seems to have good pitch recognition and plate discipline. He just needed consistent at bats. He’s fun to watch, for me anyway.