.189/.318/.432

Frobby

No a .189 average no matter how you slice it is terrible.  So I expect more from a major league ballplayer.  Especially a first baseman.  Plus he would probably strike out 220 times.  Anyway Chris seemed to come at the end maybe he will improve and be productive. 

I don't view that line as possible over larger samples. 

I do think the Orioles should tinker with a new sign from the 3B coach during Davis' at bats. Instead of having a "take" sign, he should have a "swing" sign. I'd rather he swing at pitches way out of the strike zone than take 88 MPH fastballs down the middle of the plate anymore. Take the thinking out of it. Just tell him to swing. Lol.

10 minutes ago, jamalshw said:

That's actually a loaded question. I think I would be surprised if he managed that, but I don't know if I'd be happy about it because it might just be good enough to ensure he's on the team to start 2020.

This is partly why I asked the question.    On the one hand, if he’s going to be on the team, this would constitute pretty significant improvement.    On the other hand, it’s still probably very close to replacement level and doesn’t really move the needle for the team, but probably would be enough where they’d keep him rather than cutting the cord.    So that could be a bad thing.  

11 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I don't view that line as possible over larger samples. 

Possible for Davis, or for anyone?

Rob Deer had a .179/.314/.386 season.   Adam Dunn has a .204/.333/.468 season.   Chris Carter had a .199/.307/.423 season.   So I think it’s theoretically possible to have a line like .189/.318/.432 even over a full year.   Do I think Davis will do that?   No, not really.    

24 minutes ago, Frobby said:

This is partly why I asked the question.    On the one hand, if he’s going to be on the team, this would constitute pretty significant improvement.    On the other hand, it’s still probably very close to replacement level and doesn’t really move the needle for the team, but probably would be enough where they’d keep him rather than cutting the cord.    So that could be a bad thing.  

A .750 OPS with slightly improved defense should bring him in at about 1 WAR, so that's worth 8M more than if you release him.

• Like 1