.189/.318/.432

Frobby

1 hour ago, webbrick2010 said:

The bright side, he has a very low probability of grounding into a double play!

Always looking on the bright side!  ?

Davis does, in fact, have a very low 6.0% GIDP rate in his career, compared to 10.8% average in MLB.    And that’s largely because he strikes out so much.     Also, his GB/FB ratio is very low (.59 vs. league average .81).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 hours ago, LookinUp said:

I don't view that line as possible over larger samples. 

I do think the Orioles should tinker with a new sign from the 3B coach during Davis' at bats. Instead of having a "take" sign, he should have a "swing" sign. I'd rather he swing at pitches way out of the strike zone than take 88 MPH fastballs down the middle of the plate anymore. Take the thinking out of it. Just tell him to swing. Lol.

?

Why are we talking about batting average in 2019? Some of these opinions in this thread seem like blasts from the past. If Davis is on base over 30% of the time and slugs over .420, he at least won’t be completely worthless. If the guy can be penciled in for a .750 OPS, that’s a win. And the lower his BA, the more interesting the stats become—and the more HRs he’d need to hit to have a decent SLG. He’d probably have to hit over 40 HR. 

1 minute ago, Matt said:

Why are we talking about batting average in 2019? Some of these opinions in this thread seem like blasts from the past. If Davis is on base over 30% of the time and slugs over .420, he at least won’t be completely worthless. If the guy can be penciled in for a .750 OPS, that’s a win. And the lower his BA, the more interesting the stats become—and the more HRs he’d need to hit to have a decent SLG. He’d probably have to hit over 40 HR. 

I get what you're saying, but there really aren't many low .200 batting average guys who produce a solid OBP, OPS and SLG. Off the top of my mind the only two that did last year were Joey Gallo (batted .206) and Kyle Schwarber (batted .238). Chris Davis walks have also dropped significantly since his last good year in 2016. Everything about him is trending in the wrong the direction. And trending might not be a strong enough term. Sinking like a 500 lbs anchor is probably a better analogy. 

10 minutes ago, Matt said:

We’re not talking about a .240 hitter. If Davis breaks the Mendoza line that would be a big accomplishment.

When your batting average is that low it’s almost impossible to be considered a productive offensive player. 

4 hours ago, Matt said:

If you have two players with a .318 OBP, one of whom batted .189 and one of whom batted .269, you’d usually want the guy with the higher BA, since with runners on base a hit is more valuable than a walk.    Of course, SLG also comes into play.    

I’d love to know roughly how .189/.318/.432 translates into wOBA.

56 minutes ago, Frobby said:

If you have two players with a .318 OBP, one of whom batted .189 and one of whom batted .269, you’d usually want the guy with the higher BA, since with runners on base a hit is more valuable than a walk.    Of course, SLG also comes into play.    

I’d love to know roughly how .189/.318/.432 translates into wOBA.

The year Mark McGwire hit .187/.316/.482 his wOBA was .339.  Rob Deer's 1991 .179/.314/.386 was good for a .320.  You have to figure in league offensive context when translating that to a hypothetical Davis .189/.318/.432 line.  But it would probably be somewhere around .320 or so.

7 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Well he is a perfect 3/3 on opening day.

Hope the O's get a few hits so he can get his 4th AB and SO

23 million year to be the worst player in history

This is good progress. Our only chance is for him to become so embarrassed he'll accept a buyout to walk away.

Archived