.189/.318/.432

Frobby

13 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

I look at it like I am paying Davis 23M and getting 8M in production

If he has a 50 home run season and hits .260 that would provide value as it give us something to be interested in.  Him providing 1 WAR is useless to this team. 

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, atomic said:

If he has a 50 home run season and hits .260 that would provide value as it give us something to be interested in.  Him providing 1 WAR is useless to this team. 

Is the extra roster spot worth eating 92 M?

2 hours ago, El Gordo said:

Is the extra roster spot worth eating 92 M?

That's not the choice.

The choice is paying Davis $92 million and having the roster spot, or paying Davis $92 million and not having the roster spot.

39 minutes ago, SteveA said:

That's not the choice.

The choice is paying Davis $92 million and having the roster spot, or paying Davis $92 million and not having the roster spot.

The point is if Davis is at all productive you aren't eating the entire 23 M. Until his roster spot can be used by someone more productive why release him?

46 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

The point is if Davis is at all productive you aren't eating the entire 23 M. Until his roster spot can be used by someone more productive why release him?

Last year any player in baseball and hundreds more in the minor leagues could have been more productive than Davis. The bar is that low right now.

54 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Last year any player in baseball and hundreds more in the minor leagues could have been more productive than Davis. The bar is that low right now.

But the thread is what if Davis hit like he did in ST. That would be a .750 OPS with 30 HR and 70 RBI. I doubt he will but's that's not the question.

29 minutes ago, El Gordo said:

But the thread is what if Davis hit like he did in ST. That would be a .750 OPS with 30 HR and 70 RBI. I doubt he will but's that's not the question.

If Davis manages to pull off a .750 OPS then yeah he isn’t going anywhere.  

I’m predicting it’s more likely his OPS is below .650 and any bounce back from last year is minimal at best.

5 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

If Davis manages to pull off a .750 OPS then yeah he isn’t going anywhere.  

I’m predicting it’s more likely his OPS is below .650 and any bounce back from last year is minimal at best.

It's baseball I never predict.

14 hours ago, Frobby said:

Possible for Davis, or for anyone?

Rob Deer had a .179/.314/.386 season.   Adam Dunn has a .204/.333/.468 season.   Chris Carter had a .199/.307/.423 season.   So I think it’s theoretically possible to have a line like .189/.318/.432 even over a full year.   Do I think Davis will do that?   No, not really.    

Mark McGwire had that year where he hit .187/.316/.492, good for a 105 OPS+ in 364 PA.  So if Davis OPS'd .750 while hitting .189 that wouldn't even be some kind of record.

Oscar Gamble had a partial 1984 where he hit .184/.318/.440.  And in 1968 someone named Frank Fernandez hit .170/.341/.385.  And that was '68 so that was good for a 125 OPS+, even though it was in just 171 PAs.

In Rob Deer's last trial in the majors at 35 he hit .180/.359/.480 in 25 games.  I think I'd expect Davis to be more like Deer's 70 games in Japan: .151/.279/.297.

I don't know, in today's environment I think he could possibly hit .170/.280/.380 or something like that.  Last year Pedro Alvarez hit .180/.283/.414.  But a .750?  Probably not.

10 hours ago, atomic said:

You're dismissing the entertainment value of someone who hits 35 homers and only has 43 hits.

Archived