O's sign CF Mason Williams for AAA

interloper

22 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Williams has re-signed with the O’s, per Roch.    

Orioles re-signed OF Mason Williams to a minor league contract.

Williams saw some brief time at the major league level this past season, but he spent the majority of the year in Triple-A, where he batted .308/.371/.477 with 18 homers over 121 games. The 28-year-old figures to have a similar role in 2020.

https://www.rotoworld.com/baseball/mlb/player/20071/mason-williams

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, MurphDogg said:

I would think McKenna and Mullins will get the majority of the playing time at centerfield at Norfolk. Curious how it all shakes out.

McKenna probably begins the season at Bowie IMO.   Williams can play the corner OF spots.   He has a shot at winning the O's 4th OF spot in ST.

I would like to see Hunter Cervenka  in ST.  He is a lefties that gets out both righties and lefties.

Alvarado is eligible for the Rule 5 draft.  

• Upvote 1

I think re-signing Mason Williams is a solid minor league depth move. I just hope he gets serious about his workouts this off-season, and comes into Spring in much better shape than he appeared to be a few months ago. Not too many major league center fielders with a belly. 

He's a local kid from West Orange HS here in Orlando, which has produced many pro players. I remember watching him play as a senior. He was quick twitch and could really run. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Jammer7 said:

I think re-signing Mason Williams is a solid minor league depth move. I just hope he gets serious about his workouts this off-season, and comes into Spring in much better shape than he appeared to be a few months ago. Not too many major league center fielders with a belly. 

He's a local kid from West Orange HS here in Orlando, which has produced many pro players. I remember watching him play as a senior. He was quick twitch and could really run. 

I think signing Williams make it easier to move  Smith off the 26 man roster and maybe off the 40 man roster if Elias needs space for other acquisitions.

Though Williams is a lefty bat he hits lefties very well.   Maybe a good platoon partner in left field with Wilkerson before Mountcastle is promoted.  And a good late inning  defensive replacement in left after Mouncastle is promoted. He can play all there OF spots including as a backup in center.   That makes him a good 4th OF.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

I think signing Williams make it easier to move  Smith off the 26 man roster and maybe off the 40 man roster if Elias needs space for other acquisitions.

Though Williams is a lefty bat he hits lefties very well.   Maybe a good platoon partner in left field with Wilkerson before Mountcastle is promoted.  And a good late inning  defensive replacement in left after Mouncastle is promoted. He can play all there OF spots including as a backup in center.   That makes him a good 4th OF.

Honestly, would rather have Williams on the 40 over DSJ at this point.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think we should be so high on Williams. Mullins completely busted in CF, and Williams was never an option. Williams wasn’t even an original call up in September. I don’t think they value him as a CF. He’s just milb OF depth, but I’m glad to have him around. 

Who’s that high on Williams?    Your last sentence describes him accurately.   I felt a little bad that he got hurt just as he was getting his opportunity.   

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I don’t think we should be so high on Williams. Mullins completely busted in CF, and Williams was never an option. Williams wasn’t even an original call up in September. I don’t think they value him as a CF. He’s just milb OF depth, but I’m glad to have him around. 

What are you talking about? Williams was called up in September as soon as Norfolk ended its season.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think people are high on the idea of having a cheap fall back plan who appears to be somewhat capable. He's not going to be traded to the Yankees and put them over the hump in the playoffs or anything. He's solid depth. 

• Upvote 1