Hyde's Decisions 2019

Aristotelian

7 hours ago, Frobby said:

I can’t disagree with this statement, though I don’t think anything Hess said suggests or implies it.    Of course he will always wonder “what if?”    But that’s not really the issue here.    Some had implied that Hyde could demoralize Hess, cause him to lose confidence in himself, or lose other members of the clubhouse from this decision.    I think that’s complete hyperbole and Hess clearly reacted well to the decision and will move on, though I have no doubt he was disappointed to be pulled.    

This is hyperbole. But last night, when Hess had everything going, he looked like Arietta. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
28 minutes ago, Satyr3206 said:

Watching Hyde manage the pitching staff and bullpen has had me shake my head quite a few times. Twice tonight. I hope someone talks to him. Just not Dempsey.

I don't think I've disagreed with any bullpen decision so far other than putting Bleier in high leverage situations. 

42 minutes ago, Spl51 said:

I don't think I've disagreed with any bullpen decision so far other than putting Bleier in high leverage situations. 

Using starters as bullpen guys is a huge red flag. Not getting a left hander up tonight is a huge red flag. His unorthodox strategy will only work so long.

4 hours ago, Satyr3206 said:

Using starters as bullpen guys is a huge red flag. Not getting a left hander up tonight is a huge red flag. His unorthodox strategy will only work so long.

Just because you don't play by the book doesn't mean its wrong. Many things are done just because that's the way it was done in the past.

So far the bullpen has the specialized skill of only giving up just enough runs to make it a one run game. Fry with the balls to throw that 2-0 slider to Smoak last night in a jam. Castro was aggressive. Rowdy Telez had just missed a homer off Cashner the previous AB. So that guy was locked in. 

Seems like the pen was more aggressive last night. That could be coaching or coincidence. 

Hyde with the magic touch last night getting Alberto into the game. 

Maybe we are seeing the influence of analytics here.  And maybe that doesn't jive with what us armchair experts have come to expect over the years.  I think, perhaps, some of these matchups are more nuanced than a lefty/right matchup.  For example if there's a reason to bring in a lefty to pitch to a batter that might not traditionally favor that call...maybe the batter is less successful against a lefty who's got a certain spin rate or shape to their slider.  There could be a myriad of reasons for the matchup creations.  I know we all think we're geniuses here, but we don't have access to all the information now moreso than ever.  

It's also early, they're experimenting with openers and we're not used to watching a team have to juggle a rotation/bullpen members in that setup.  

We'll learn Hyde's tendencies as we go along, it's something I look forward to.  

7 hours ago, Spl51 said:

I thought he overextended Givens.  And he acknowledged it as such.  But overall I think he is still evaluating what all his pitchers actually can do and not just putting them in the predefined traditional roles...which I think is very different compared to Buck. 

12 minutes ago, tntoriole said:

I thought he overextended Givens.  And he acknowledged it as such.  But overall I think he is still evaluating what all his pitchers actually can do and not just putting them in the predefined traditional roles...which I think is very different compared to Buck. 

I agree, thats what I meant by saying we're going to have to get used to a few things here.  It's looking like they're wanting guys to be able to do anything at any time.  One night, come into a tight game with runners on in the 6th, a few nights later close out a game.

I'd be in favor of this if thats how it played out for the whole year.  I think it'd keep everyone on their toes.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I agree, thats what I meant by saying we're going to have to get used to a few things here.  It's looking like they're wanting guys to be able to do anything at any time.  One night, come into a tight game with runners on in the 6th, a few nights later close out a game.

I'd be in favor of this if thats how it played out for the whole year.  I think it'd keep everyone on their toes.

I disagree. There is a reason things have been done a certain way for years. It made sense and worked. And most players, ML or otherwise like to know what role they have. A jack of all trades is a master at none.

1 minute ago, Satyr3206 said:

I disagree. There is a reason things have been done a certain way for years. It made sense and worked. And most players, ML or otherwise like to know what role they have. A jack of all trades is a master at none.

You have one trade, you come in and get batters out.  You make it sound like they are farriers who only work on left rear hooves.

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

You have one trade, you come in and get batters out.  You make it sound like they are farriers who only work on left rear hooves.

That's where I'm at.  

Way I see it, there's no Craig Kimbrel in our bullpen to stake a claim to the 9th inning and save situations only.  

25 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

10 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

That's where I'm at.  

Way I see it, there's no Craig Kimbrel in our bullpen to stake a claim to the 9th inning and save situations only.  

That IS where your at?  ?

15 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Maybe we are seeing the influence of analytics here.  And maybe that doesn't jive with what us armchair experts have come to expect over the years.  I think, perhaps, some of these matchups are more nuanced than a lefty/right matchup.  For example if there's a reason to bring in a lefty to pitch to a batter that might not traditionally favor that call...maybe the batter is less successful against a lefty who's got a certain spin rate or shape to their slider.  There could be a myriad of reasons for the matchup creations.  I know we all think we're geniuses here, but we don't have access to all the information now moreso than ever.  

It's also early, they're experimenting with openers and we're not used to watching a team have to juggle a rotation/bullpen members in that setup.  

We'll learn Hyde's tendencies as we go along, it's something I look forward to.  

I was wondering the same, for a lot of the moves we are seeing, but have they really had enough time to develop these scenarios utilizing the data they have?  I honestly don't know, but maybe they (Elias, Sig and crew) came in way more prepared than any of us realized or maybe they are working 24/7 on refining the data to help with these decisions.  Probably a combination of everything, but would be so cool if they found some secret formula...lol

Archived