Minor League Summaries are up

weams

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, weams said:

I watched most of the Delmarva game.

Grenier looked more physical at the plate and more muscular in the lower half in general. 

Seamus Curran struggled against Lexington's SP who pitched backwards the majority of the night, swinging through offspeed badly. 

Naughton was 92-96, with a hard curve at 81-82.

JCE's HR came on a 1-2 count on a front door breaking ball that he got his hands in and turned on. Pulled down the line, a high line drive that easily got out. 

Blaine Knight was 90-93 mostly, some mild armside life, some general FB command, but not precise. Curveball with good 12-6 shape in the mid 70s, dropped in a few for strikes, not really used as an out pitch. Slider in the 82ish range, didn't have any command of the pitch, looked a little different than his college slider/cutter, less velocity more horizontal action, distinct from the CB, but like I said, didn't command it well enough to be useful. Only threw a couple changeups, and they weren't very good, kind of a slow fastball, decent arm speed, but didn't look like he had the pitch yesterday. 

The fastball for Knight is very hittable on the plate, especially in the low 90s, that's going to be the main challenge for him going forward. He needs to add velocity, improve FB command, or become more comfortable pitching backwards. I think there is a some chance all of those things happen to some degree, but until I see some of it, the reasonable ceiling for me is probably #4 SP. 

Just now, Luke-OH said:

I watched most of the Delmarva game.

Grenier looked more physical at the plate and more muscular in the lower half in general. 

Seamus Curran struggled against Lexington's SP who pitched backwards the majority of the night, swinging through offspeed badly. 

Naughton was 92-96, with a hard curve at 81-82.

JCE's HR came on a 1-2 count on a front door breaking ball that he got his hands in and turned on. Pulled down the line, a high line drive that easily got out. 

Blaine Knight was 90-93 mostly, some mild armside life, some general FB command, but not precise. Curveball with good 12-6 shape in the mid 70s, dropped in a few for strikes, not really used as an out pitch. Slider in the 82ish range, didn't have any command of the pitch, looked a little different than his college slider/cutter, less velocity more horizontal action, distinct from the CB, but like I said, didn't command it well enough to be useful. Only threw a couple changeups, and they weren't very good, kind of a slow fastball, decent arm speed, but didn't look like he had the pitch yesterday. 

The fastball for Knight is very hittable on the plate, especially in the low 90s, that's going to be the main challenge for him going forward. He needs to add velocity, improve FB command, or become more comfortable pitching backwards. I think there is a some chance all of those things happen to some degree, but until I see some of it, the reasonable ceiling for me is probably #4 SP. 

Knight is still thin so there is hope. Especially if he builds in season. I watched all the games as well. Thank you for the scouting perspective. It reigns my  hopes in some.

7 minutes ago, weams said:

Knight is still thin so there is hope. Especially if he builds in season. I watched all the games as well. Thank you for the scouting perspective. It reigns my  hopes in some.

Yeah, I think his velocity will improve some, he held it pretty well in this outing and it's early. DL Hall was 90-94 in some early outings last year, but sat 95-96 in some late season outings. 

Knight's fastball though, even when he was dominating in college was easy to barrel in the zone. A lot of loud, loud outs that JR year in Arkansas. I went back and watched liked 6 of his starts after the Orioles drafted him in addition to the CWS appearance.

3 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

Yeah, I think his velocity will improve some, he held it pretty well in this outing and it's early. DL Hall was 90-94 in some early outings last year, but sat 95-96 in some late season outings. 

Knight's fastball though, even when he was dominating in college was easy to barrel in the zone. A lot of loud, loud outs that JR year in Arkansas. I went back and watched liked 6 of his starts after the Orioles drafted him in addition to the CWS appearance.

I was encouraged that he was still popping 92 in the sixth. 

1 minute ago, weams said:

I was encouraged that he was still popping 92 in the sixth. 

That's an improvement from college Blaine Knight right there, usually he'd be down 5-6 ticks from peak velocity by the end of an outing. I only saw 93 (I missed a few batters and not every velocity was shown/mentioned), so that's a huge improvement as far as holding velo. 

Other brief notes, JCE made some solid plays at 3B, he needs some more work on his footwork and internal clock, but he has the tools and should be able to stick there. He looks more polished than last year already. 

Doran Turchin showed an easy plus arm in LF with excellent carry even on an abbreviated crow hop.  

Grenier's throws from SS weren't super encouraging, with some coming in short, but I think it was more his release point being off than lack of arm strength, but something to watch going forward. 

Archived