MASN dispute update

JohnD

1 hour ago, weams said:

There is no question that Baltimore, DC, and Annapolis are the same market area. Not necessarily for driving around. But for advertising and shared boosterism. Better mass transit could correct the issues. The TV market is definitely shared. Now maybe not Harrisburg or Norfolk. I could see that debate. 

In spite of the DC ties (Note: DC, and not Nationals) to Annapolis too.

Personally, I see Annapolis as a swing city with ties to both markets. It will get even grayer in the future, when this whole metropolian area becomes a mega city.

2 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

It's going to take some kind of crazy multi-billion dollar Elon Musk hyperloop to make it convenient to get from Nats Park to OPACY in a reasonable amount of time in normal weekday traffic.  And by your definition San Francisco and Oakland are one market, as are Anaheim and LA.  Certainly the Bronx and Flushing Meadows.  Not sure baseball really needs to kick out all the teams splitting huge markets.  The Yanks don't need the help.

Also, it'll be sad to see the Ravens go.

Sure. But times 10 with your examples of population. The Capitol Area does not compete.  They just don't need to add teams to existing full up markets. Like giving Tampa its own Yankees to go with the St Pete Rays.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, weams said:

Sure. But times 10 with you examples of population. The Capitol Area does not compete.  They just don't need to add teams to existing full up markets. Like giving Tampa its own Yankees to go with the St Pete Rays.

The Yankees already have an afillation with the Marlins down in Miami, its their AAAA squard. :) :)

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, weams said:

Sure. But times 10 with you examples of population. The Capitol Area does not compete.  They just don't need to add teams to existing full up markets. Like giving Tampa its own Yankees to go with the St Pete Rays.

The Bay Area is quite a bit smaller than DC-Baltimore-Nova. And the whole area has about nine million people which is pretty close to Chicago.

I think the longer-term solution is to add a lot more teams to existing areas instead of subtracting.  We'd all be better off if NYC had the Yanks, Giants, Dodgers, and Mets, Boston still had the Braves, Philly still had the A's, St. Louis the Browns, and they'd added the PCL and about 12 expansion teams in the midwest and east.  Houston, Dallas, Philly, Boston, and Atlanta all need two teams.  Atlanta certainly has the stadiums for it.

Just now, DrungoHazewood said:

The Bay Area is quite a bit smaller than DC-Baltimore-Nova. 

I think the longer-term solution is to add a lot more teams to existing areas instead of subtracting.  We'd all be better off if NYC had the Yanks, Giants, Dodgers, and Mets, Boston still had the Braves, Philly still had the A's, St. Louis the Browns, and they'd added the PCL and about 12 expansion teams in the midwest and east.  Houston, Dallas, Philly, Boston, and Atlanta all need two teams.  Atlanta certainly has the stadiums for it.

Interesting idea.

1 minute ago, DrungoHazewood said:

The Bay Area is quite a bit smaller than DC-Baltimore-Nova. 

We are cheating if we do Nova instead of Annapolis. If we add San Jose, Sacramento and Fresno, I think then you'll find a difference. 

1 hour ago, weams said:

We are cheating if we do Nova instead of Annapolis. If we add San Jose, Sacramento and Fresno, I think then you'll find a difference. 

I think most Nats fans are from Northern Virginia.  And I thought the beef was that from 1972 to 2004 the Orioles controlled more territory than the British Empire in 1877, but now are forced to share.  Nova is a lot closer than North Carolina.

1 hour ago, weams said:

Not sure what you’re saying here.   The Baltimore-Washington Combined Statistical Area is the fourth largest in the country, nearly 9.8 mm and comparable to the Chicago and San Francisco/Bay Area, which have two teams.    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

The DC Metropolitan Statistical Area by itself is 6.2 mm, 6th largest MSA in the U.S., and the Baltimore MSA is 2.8 mm, which is 21st.    Tampa-St. Pete is 3.1 mm, 18th.   So putting two teams in the DC/Baltimore area is nothing like putting two teams in the Tampa-St. Pete area.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_area

15 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Not sure what you’re saying here.   The Baltimore-Washington Combined Statistical Area is the fourth largest in the country, nearly 9.8 mm and comparable to the Chicago and San Francisco/Bay Area, which have two teams.    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_statistical_area

The DC Metropolitan Statistical Area by itself is 6.2 mm, 6th largest MSA in the U.S., and the Baltimore MSA is 2.8 mm, which is 21st.    Tampa-St. Pete is 3.1 mm, 18th.   So putting two teams in the DC/Baltimore area is nothing like putting two teams in the Tampa-St. Pete area.   https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_statistical_area

I may have gone overboard.  Florida Man by nature has more leisure time though!

3 minutes ago, weams said:

I may have gone overboard.  Florida Man by nature has more leisure time though!

Yes, but so many leisure options!  Watching the Rays apparently is about number 1,000 on the list, somewhere behind looking for loose change on the beach with a metal detector.  

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Frobby said:

Yes, but so many leisure options!  Watching the Rays apparently is about number 1,000 on the list, somewhere behind looking for loose change on the beach with a metal detector.  

That and they werent livelong Ray fans either.

Not sure what the extract ratio is those "outsiders" and those born and raised in the area.

4 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

That and they werent livelong Ray fans either.

Not sure what the extract ratio is those "outsiders" and those born and raised in the area.

I don't know why they should not move the Yankees there. To Tampa, where the lifelong Yankee fans live.  The Rays to Bristol Connecticut, The As to San Jose and then the Nationals to Kentucky. Anywhere in Kentucky. An underserved Market. Four new teams added, Raleigh, Portland, Vegas and Montreal. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, weams said:

I don't know why they should not move the Yankees there. To Tampa, where the lifelong Yankee fans live.  The Rays to Bristol Connecticut, The As to San Jose and then the Nationals to Kentucky. Anywhere in Kentucky. An underserved Market. Four new teams added, Raleigh, Portland, Vegas and Montreal. 

Kentucky supports their Wildcats, I dont see them supporting MLB.

Maybe move the Nationals even futher south into Nashville? :)