TT: Ynoa, it's time to say goodbye to Mike Wright

Tony-OH

14 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

So Wright was worth a Low Class-A no-hit utility guy. They might as well have gotten future considerations! :D

There are non-prospects and then there is Ryne Ogren.  Actually makes me feel better about Jack Zoellner.  :D 

25 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Now I don't this guy from Adam, other than his stats in the pros and at Elon, but what makes him interesting? Is it his lack or power and speed? Is it his .250/.344/.356/.700 slash line in rookie ball as a 21-year old last year or his .159/.229/.318/.547 slash line this year so far?

It's not like the guy is a defensive whiz at SS, because he's been playing all over the infield. So what makes him interesting? What am I missing?

He appears to be the exact kind of guy you give up just to make it a trade rather than a release. Remember, the Orioles now are off the hook for most of his $568K salary.

o

Image result for Adam Jones Orioles

o

• Haha 1

If Wright has success in Seattle, I think the OH board will explode!    But I’m not too concerned about that.   

Were we on the hook for his $568 k if he had been outrighted to Norfolk?     I would have thought he just drew a MiL salary there, subject to the rules about how that’s calculated for players with major league service time.    (There are some rules about how far your salary can drop.)

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

Thank god, man. I was sure he'd be assigned to Norfolk and we'd see him again in no time. I wish him all the best, honestly, he's a good dude. But I'm glad he's not in the Orioles organization anymore. 

I'm curious how Seattle creates 25-man room for him. Anyone know?

MLBTR sounds puzzled themselves.

The Mariners have acquired righty Mike Wright from the Orioles, per a club announcement. Infield Ryne Ogren will head to the Baltimore organization in return.

Wright was designated for assignment recently by the O’s. The out-of-options hurler will head onto the active roster for the M’s. He’ll need to remain there or be exposed to waivers.

The results haven’t been there for Wright, who carries a 5.95 ERA through 242 career frames in the majors. He has been hurt by the long ball this year, surrendering five in just 13 1/3 innings of work en route to a ghastly 9.45 ERA.

It’s not entirely clear what the Mariners hope to accomplish with the move beyond adding another arm to the stable. Perhaps their analytics department has an idea for how to squeeze improved results from his raw stuff, which includes a four-seam fastball that sits at around 94 mph.

3 minutes ago, Redskins Rick said:

MLBTR sounds puzzled themselves.

They mention "raw stuff" and "94 mph fastball" and that's the thing about Mike Wright. He doesn't have all that good of stuff! When he humps it up to 96 on rare occasion, then it's a little more intriguing. But his slider stinks most of the time, his fastball is mediocre and he can't command it, and that's the extent of his repertoire. 

I can't imagine they squeeze more out of him other than a couple of good initial appearances (because that's how Wright rolls), but if they do, I'll be extremely curious about it.

1 minute ago, interloper said:

They mention "raw stuff" and "94 mph fastball" and that's the thing about Mike Wright. He doesn't have all that good of stuff! When he humps it up to 96 on rare occasion, then it's a little more intriguing. But his slider stinks most of the time, his fastball is mediocre and he can't command it, and that's the extent of his repertoire. 

I can't imagine they squeeze more out of him other than a couple of good initial appearances (because that's how Wright rolls), but if they do, I'll be extremely curious about it.

Unless they spotted a hitch in his giddy up.