DJ Stewart 2019

Frobby

DJ Stewart batting cleanup tonight for the first time. He has batted 5th four times, 6th four times, 7th seven times, and 8th once.

Of course, with Peterson, Ruiz, Davis, Sisco and the pitcher behind him in the lineup, Stewart batting fourth is probably optimal. 

28 minutes ago, vatech1994 said:

Stewart can legitimately hit and run.  Both skills are there.  I think the outfield stuff is about the higher light standards and high flight paths in the bigs.  Buck used to talk about that a lot. I think he will be a solid defender.  All in all I like what I see with this guy.  

Man I get that people are attracted by his high motor Charlie hustle demeanor. I mean I like the guys attitude too.

but cmon he is a bumbling stumbling dissaster in the OF, he will never be a solid defender (assuming a definition of league average). With his bottom 10% arm strength even if he had average OF speed (he doesn't) he'd still be a below average (not solid) outfielder.

5 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Man I get that people are attracted by his high motor Charlie hustle demeanor. I mean I like the guys attitude too.

but cmon he is a bumbling stumbling dissaster in the OF, he will never be a solid defender (assuming a definition of league average). With his bottom 10% arm strength even if he had average OF speed (he doesn't) he'd still be a below average (not solid) outfielder.

Yea, that second paragraph is just not true.  He's got a better arm than Mancini, Mullins and Smith just to count orioles we have seen in the outfield this season.  The sprint data shows his speed is average for a CO (I'll agree that if you include CF he would drop to BA but I'm not sure why you would).  All the data and scouting reports show him to be average to slightly above in the outfield.  A very poor stretch of 10 games or so this season doesn't change that.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

Wow, I've never heard someone be so consistently negative.  Is your basis of his defense, the one slip he had on a very wet surface?  What I've seen in Stewart is the player with the smartest at bats on the team - including Mancini - and probably the best batting eye on the team.  And the last game I saw, he made 2 outstanding catches and one very good running catch that he turned into a double-play because the runner at first didn't think he'd catch it.  He may have a weak arm - I don't know - but I haven't seen that make a difference so far.  

Just now, Ruzious said:

Wow, I've never heard someone be so consistently negative.  Is your basis of his defense, the one slip he had on a very wet surface?  What I've seen in Stewart is the player with the smartest at bats on the team - including Mancini - and probably the best batting eye on the team.  And the last game I saw, he made 2 outstanding catches and one very good running catch that he turned into a double-play because the runner at first didn't think he'd catch it.  He may have a weak arm - I don't know - but I haven't seen that make a difference so far.  

I'm pretty sure he's been down on Stewart since the minute he was drafted.  I think he's the one that said the two guys the O's got for Matusz would have better careers.

1 minute ago, Ruzious said:

His arm isn't bottom 10% weak and he understands the concept of the cutoff man.

3 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

According to Baseballsavant, his sprint speed is in the 59th percentile, a little short of average for corner outfielder but not far off. I would like to see a citation on his arm strength being bottom 10 percent..

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, webbrick2010 said:

I mean I like the guys attitude too.

Mullins has bottom 10% arm strength. Stewart’s arm is more playable in LF, but not bad. His speed is slightly above average. Therefore, I fully expect him to be an average to slightly above defender in the OF.

3 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

LOL, Stewart has become the 2019 Felix Pie, how about the pop up that was in the air for ~30 seconds that he dropped, you miss that one? How about his .973 fielding % in the minors, is that good for an OF'er?

For me the jury’s out on his defense.   He made a couple of nice plays on Sunday.     I’ve seen some good throws and some mediocre ones.    And yes, he’s looked foolish a couple of times.    I just need to see more and also give him the chance to relax and adjust to playing in major league parks.    One thing is sure, he’s not a guy who makes it look easy.    

8 minutes ago, wildcard said:

Have you seen Mountcastle's arm in the outfield?

Just one clip throwing out the runner at home the other day (EDIT the clip above).  He throws it too high and not on a line.  Infielder arm, slinging 3/4's.  Not much of scouting take and just MHO.  And I have only seen Stewart's arm throwing back to the infield recently so my opinion is worth nada, zilch.  But it is MHO.  Whatever @Luke-OH says is good.