DJ Stewart 2019

Frobby

Stewart has gotten off to a very Stewart-ish start in Norfolk, .265/.405/.500.     The BA doesn’t wow you but the OBP does.     I think if he keeps his OBP over .350 and continues to show some occasional pop, he’ll eventually find himself back in Baltimore.    

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Stewart has gotten off to a very Stewart-ish start in Norfolk, .265/.405/.500.     The BA doesn’t wow you but the OBP does.     I think if he keeps his OBP over .350 and continues to show some occasional pop, he’ll eventually find himself back in Baltimore.    

He hit a home run through intense winds the other day. I think for him, the problem is no one on the O's 25 man can play CF other than Mullins (maybe Rickard). My fear is that they send Mullins down and replace him with Mason Williams. Stewart deserved an extended look based on what he did last year and I hope he gets it.

55 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Too bad his spring wasn’t better, but he has a much better plate approach than does Mullins. They can easily slide Rickard over to CF, but then he’s in the lineup all the time. 

I’d like to see both Rickard and Mullins optioned, but I heard Smith doesn’t play CF. Ideally, DJ is better suited for LF.

13 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Too bad his spring wasn’t better, but he has a much better plate approach than does Mullins. They can easily slide Rickard over to CF, but then he’s in the lineup all the time. 

I’d like to see both Rickard and Mullins optioned, but I heard Smith doesn’t play CF. Ideally, DJ is better suited for LF.

He hit 267/333/433/767 and was sent down after only 14 games.  I don't think he had any chance to make the team.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

He hit 267/333/433/767 and was sent down after only 14 games.  I don't think he had any chance to make the team.

Yeah, based on that, you wouldn’t think so. Mullins has a little more time, but I won’t hold my breath. At least he’s looked better on defense.

2 minutes ago, BarclaySouthway said:

I was impressed with his approach last year in Baltimore.  He didn't look overmatched or anything. 

I just don't see what position he's going to play if you put him on this roster. Platoon DH?  He's the opposite of the versatile-type defender the new regime seems to favor. 

He's clearly better than Mancini in the outfield.

5 hours ago, Three Run Homer said:

I'm not ready to give up on Cedric Mullins yet, but I'd much rather see DJ Stewart playing for the O's than Joey Rickard.  

I want to agree. DJ’s arm is a bit stronger than Joey’s and the offensive numbers would be better. But I can’t see DJ in CF, and Joey does hit LHP fairly well. 

I think DJ went down, in large part, because of the acquisition of Dwight Smith, Jr.. And I have to say that I would much rather have Dwight Smith Jr. than DJ in LF. The other thing was Renato Núñez becoming the DH due to Trumbo not being ready. 

8BB 4K

Enough said right there. Gotta like the the approach. This is the year to where if you’re producing you should get a look. 

We have a 3 man bench. Rickard and Mullins haven’t been producing so far. It’s early, but there is a room for another OF to get ABs on the MLB roster. Whether that is Stewart or Mason Williams. 

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Good day for Stewart overall, 2 for 4 with a homer and a walk.   Slashing .289/.426/.579 now.

Stewart and Smith Jr. are similar players.  Stewart deserves a shot for sure but where to play him?  We need an injury or a demotion.

1 hour ago, bobmc said:

Stewart and Smith Jr. are similar players.  Stewart deserves a shot for sure but where to play him?  We need an injury or a demotion.

I think once we get through all these consective games they can go back to a 12 man pitching staff and add another position player.  I would think Stewart would be leading that group at this point.