Interviews with Elias about the #1 Pick

TonySoprano

“The process is something that I’m very familiar with so that’s a little comforting, but this has been a good year and I feel like we’ve attacked it well,” Elias said. “(Interim scouting director) Brad Ciolek has been leading the amateur staff in their work and our approach has been very organized and thorough.”

Elias is personally doing a chunk of the scouting and evaluating himself.

“I’ve already personally met with several players and I anticipate scheduling a few more meetings. Anyone that we’re considering at that No.1 pick, and I think it will be between five and seven players, I expect to have personally met with them. And that’s in addition to the rest of our scouting staff doing a lot of background work and meeting with them as well,” Elias said. “It’s just a nice thing to do for any draft pick, to have a little bit of a relationship going into the process of the draft. … It just helps you with your evaluation if you have a little bit more feel for his personality, personal history.”

“I think we’re very pleased with the choices this year,” Elias said. “The things we see in this class are high school players that are athletic and middle of the diamond defenders with good bats. And then there are multiple, really dominant college hitters this year. And so that is always good to see.”

“It’s all part of the holistic evaluation that we make when you are talking about evaluating any player regardless of whether it’s the No. 1 pick or somebody in the seventh round. You balance your projections for their offense against where they could potentially play defensively,” Elias said. “Obviously, the further up the defensive spectrum they are able to play — with shortstop, catcher and center field being the most demanding positions — there is less pressure on the bat. And there is also more opportunity for them to move to other positions if they have to, depending on the roster construction or the way their career evolves. So, when you can play a premium defensive position, it just gives you a little bit more margin for error with your bat.”

“Speaking from experience, this is something that goes very late, down to the wire, because there is a lot of information that comes in right before the draft. Some of it is signability-related. We get medical information late sometimes. So, it is very difficult to really make up your mind until the draft happens, the day of the draft, the night of the draft,” Elias said. “And you shouldn’t, because if you, in March or April, are dead-set on selecting a player and something happens, he gets hurt or his performance collapses, or something crazy happens off the field, and you’ve wasted a couple months where you haven’t been studying the rest of the class, you’re gonna be scrambling to play catch-up.

“So, (waiting and continually evaluating) is the healthiest approach you can have.”

A couple other quick tidbits. Sig Mejdal, Elias’ assistant general manager for analytics, has been heavily involved in preparation for the draft, but he’s primarily staying in Baltimore and doing his work there. 

Dan also did a really nice article on Rutschman, and included some similar quotes from Elias in that.  Rutschman should be a separate topic, but here's a link to those who have a subscription.

Every time I hear Elias quoted I come away more impressed. Even when he's not giving anything away (like who he is leaning towards drafting) he says something of depth, like how he is going through the process and why it's important to not just fall in love with a guy early.

He just needs to surround himself with the right people as he keeps developing his staff. People that can analyze a lot of information, can communicate well, and work across all aspects of scouting, evaluation, and analytics.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Every time I hear Elias quoted I come away more impressed. Even when he's not giving anything away (like who he is leaning towards drafting) he says something of depth, like how he is going through the process and why it's important to not just fall in love with a guy early.

He just needs to surround himself with the right people as he keeps developing his staff. People that can analyze a lot of information, can communicate well, and work across all aspects of scouting, evaluation, and analytics.

I just like that he expounds on topics at all. Some GMs are so tight lipped for no real reason. It's not like Elias is giving away any secrets here; he just seems to enjoy talking about process. Which, for us baseball nerds, is a ton of fun to listen to. 

I too am very impressed with the communications abilities of our new GM...wonderful!  And his strategic use in those communications of his business mantra, i.e. the term “process” is almost like  a Benedictine order of ritual meditation.

4 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

BUMP (sort of):  Did not want to start a separate thread but where on Earth is the discussion on the upcoming draft??  We have the number one pick and there is nothing lol.  I scrolled and scrolled and this is it.  Really weird.

It’s all over the place, but are you aware there’s an entire forum titled “amateur draft?”    Suggest you try that for starters.   

5 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

BUMP (sort of):  Did not want to start a separate thread but where on Earth is the discussion on the upcoming draft??  We have the number one pick and there is nothing lol.  I scrolled and scrolled and this is it.  Really weird.

It's right where it belongs, which isn't Oriole Talk.

http://forum.orioleshangout.com/forums/index.php?/forum/32-os-amateur-draft-talk/

9 minutes ago, ExileAngelos said:

Thanks guys I thought it would be in here. 

I have watched like significant parts of like 200 college games this spring and have thoughts on a lot of players. All in the draft forum, primarily the Luke’s draft musings thread. Also if anyone has any draft related questions, feel free to ask, I’ve been following/watching the top draft prospects very closely.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:08 AM, interloper said:

I just like that he expounds on topics at all. Some GMs are so tight lipped for no real reason. It's not like Elias is giving away any secrets here; he just seems to enjoy talking about process. Which, for us baseball nerds, is a ton of fun to listen to. 

Or like Duquette say a lot without saying anything in the process.

Have to add, I don't mind DD's approach, put out a smoke screen and play 'em close to the vest, if that's your way. But like you and Tony OH both said, Elias' way is much more fun. Fascinating insights into the process.

1 hour ago, Luke-OH said:

I have watched like significant parts of like 200 college games this spring and have thoughts on a lot of players. All in the draft forum, primarily the Luke’s draft musings thread. Also if anyone has any draft related questions, feel free to ask, I’ve been following/watching the top draft prospects very closely.

Wow! Live or TV/video?

32 minutes ago, scOtt said:

Wow! Live or TV/video?

TV/video, only seen a couple live games so far this year and they were George Mason games (very close to home) only one real draftable player on that team, Logan Driscoll. 5th-6th round type. Good raw power, solid approach, if he could stick at catcher he might be something, but that’s a long shot IMO. 

I’ve been a shut-in mostly since the twins were born. 

6 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

TV/video, only seen a couple live games so far this year and they were George Mason games (very close to home) only one real draftable player on that team, Logan Driscoll. 5th-6th round type. Good raw power, solid approach, if he could stick at catcher he might be something, but that’s a long shot IMO. 

I’ve been a shut-in mostly since the twins were born. 

Congrats (and condolences) on the twins. ?

We don't need Driscoll, we'll have our catcher! :disco:

Archived