SI: Did Alberto make the worst play in history?

Morgan423

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bases loaded 1 out.

Routine ground ball to an infielder.

Nobody boots it.

Nobody drops it.

Nobody even bobbles it.

It didn't take any funny bounces.

No throws are off target.

And the outcome is no outs recorded and 2 runs scored.

It's certainly very hard to get that outcome without any physical misplays/errors.

1 minute ago, TonySoprano said:

Worst in history?   It's a game in May played by a team destined for 100 losses.  

Bill Buckner, anyone?

Indeed.  No one should look at these things in a bubble.  Context is key.

But in the end, I'm not sure that this was even our worst play this year. Austin Wynns flinging a routine two-out dropped strike three into center field is a strong competitor to this play in terms of sheer bone-headedness. 

Not necessarily the worst, but might have been the dumbest play in MLB history when you consider how many poor decisions were made on that play.  And not just by Alberto.    Davis was just as bad.   

I don't see it being so bad.  Just missed the out at first by an inch. If he there it a millisecond sooner  it should have been a double play.  I don't really get the reaction.  The Orioles make so many plays by doing things wrong.  Missing the cut off man.  I remember the play where Wilkerson tagged a ghost at second before throwing home which let a run score. Mancini makes terrible plays all the time.  

I am jaded I guess. Chris Weber’s time-out call, the Astros hitting out of order, Jim Marshall running the punt the wrong way for a safety, etc. Athletes do stupid things all the time. This was not great defense, but casting it as the dumbest play in MLB history? I just do not put in that category. The worst ever by the way was Merkle’s Boner, which lives in history as the worst play ever in baseball and the single worst boneheaded mistake ever.

1 hour ago, Morgan423 said:

https://www.si.com/mlb/2019/05/17/orioles-fielding-catastrophe-against-indians-worst-play-mlb-history

It was pretty awful.

Discuss. Or you know, try to repress it from your memory for all time.  Whatever gives the catharsis.

No he didn’t. Merkle playing for the Giants made boneheaded move about 100 or so years ago. As long as humans have played sports there have been many mistakes. I can’t get on him about that play because I’ve made many mistakes too.

8 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

No he didn’t. Merkle playing for the Giants made boneheaded move about 100 or so years ago. As long as humans have played sports there have been many mistakes. I can’t get on him about that play because I’ve made many mistakes too.

Did you listen to the Merkle song I posted?

10 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

I am jaded, I guess. Chris Webers time-out call, the Astros hitting out of order, Jim Marshall running the punt the wrong way for a safety, etc. Athletes do stupid things all the time. This was not great defense, but casting it as the dumbest play in MLB history? I just do not put in that category. The worst ever by the way was Merkles Boner, which lives in history as the worst play ever in baseball and the single worst boneheaded mistake ever.

o

That was a fumble recovery, not a punt return.

o

Archived