SI: Did Alberto make the worst play in history?

Morgan423

13 minutes ago, Yachtsman said:

I am jaded I guess. Chris Weber’s time-out call, the Astros hitting out of order, Jim Marshall running the punt the wrong way for a safety, etc. Athletes do stupid things all the time. This was not great defense, but casting it as the dumbest play in MLB history? I just do not put in that category. The worst ever by the way was Merkle’s Boner, which lives in history as the worst play ever in baseball and the single worst boneheaded mistake ever.

Yeah anyone hitting out of order is worse that is not a split second decision and a number of people look at the lineup card too.

David Cone missed first on a grounder to first covering the bag.  He goes and argues with the ump while two guys Run around the bass and score.

3 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

Yeah anyone hitting out of order is worse that is not a split second decision and a number of people look at the lineup card too.

David Cone missed first on a grounder to first covering the bag.  He goes and argues with the ump while two guys Run around the bass and score.

• Upvote 1

21 minutes ago, atomic said:

I think Alan Wiggins was fooled twice in one season by the hidden ball trick.  Shortstops and Third Basemen throw the ball away all the time and let multiple guys score.

Yes, and the day after Wiggins got fooled the 2nd time, and Baltimore fans were fed up with him, they chose him as the guy to do this game on the scoreboard with where they remove puzzle pieces to reveal the face of a player as you try to guess who it is.

As fans started to realize it was Wiggins, the booing got louder and louder.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bases loaded 1 out.

Routine ground ball to an infielder.

Nobody boots it.

Nobody drops it.

Nobody even bobbles it.

It didn't take any funny bounces.

No throws are off target.

And the outcome is no outs recorded and 2 runs scored.

It's certainly very hard to get that outcome without any physical misplays/errors.

This is what makes it amazing (historic?).  It was a bad play by Alberto, but it required the assist of Chris Davis to make it mind boggling. 

The ball took a couple of big slow hops that made the force at home tough, and Alberto didn't have a plan B.  But not the worst play ever by a long shot.

I think the Wynns play was worse (from an individual perspective).  He just up and fired the ball into centerfield ?.

It's gonna be tough to top these two plays for craziness, though.  I guess we'll see, won't we.

38 minutes ago, SteveA said:

Yes, and the day after Wiggins got fooled the 2nd time, and Baltimore fans were fed up with him, they chose him as the guy to do this game on the scoreboard with where they remove puzzle pieces to reveal the face of a player as you try to guess who it is.

Wiggins is a sad story. 

1 hour ago, SteveA said:

Wiggins life is a very sad story.  I remember at the time being really disappointed in him as he had so much talent but couldn't stay off the drugs.  His daughter played 8 seasons in the WNBA.  

2 hours ago, SteveA said:

Bases loaded 1 out.

Routine ground ball to an infielder.

Nobody boots it.

Nobody drops it.

Nobody even bobbles it.

It didn't take any funny bounces.

No throws are off target.

And the outcome is no outs recorded and 2 runs scored.

It's certainly very hard to get that outcome without any physical misplays/errors.

You are right with your conclusion.  It's hard to have that outcome, for sure.  

2 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

Indeed.  No one should look at these things in a bubble.  Context is key.

But in the end, I'm not sure that this was even our worst play this year. Austin Wynns flinging a routine two-out dropped strike three into center field is a strong competitor to this play in terms of sheer bone-headedness. 

Taking context out of it, it's still pretty dumb.  It certainly might not be the most COSTLY bad play in history...I don't think this ranks near some of the dumbest plays, but it's pretty dumb.

If this play happened in a playoff game or a World Series...yeah.  Still might not be the dumbest play ever, but could be one of the most costly.

2 hours ago, Yachtsman said:

I seem to recall a fly ball hitting the head of a certain outfielder for a homer. That still qualifies in my mind as the worst play ever. Jose Canseco’s finest moment.

IMO, big difference between a dumb physical error like that...or LACK of physical talent in Canseco's case and Hanser just not knowing what to do in last night's game.  Both very bad plays, but for very different reasons.  

1 hour ago, Yachtsman said:

I am jaded I guess. Chris Weber’s time-out call, the Astros hitting out of order, Jim Marshall running the punt the wrong way for a safety, etc. Athletes do stupid things all the time. This was not great defense, but casting it as the dumbest play in MLB history? I just do not put in that category. The worst ever by the way was Merkle’s Boner, which lives in history as the worst play ever in baseball and the single worst boneheaded mistake ever.

Yes, these examples are more in line with not being heads up, not being aware...Webber was one of the worst plays, for sure. 

1 hour ago, bpilktree said:

I forgot all about this one.  This is terrible.

Here's an all time bad one, with our old friend Jon Miller on the call.  "And that was the worst base running in the history of the game!!"

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, atomic said:

I think Alan Wiggins was fooled twice in one season by the hidden ball trick.  Shortstops and Third Basemen throw the ball away all the time and let multiple guys score.

Ozzie Guillen was fooled by it, too, three times.  

The second one here is the best, Dave Bergman smacks him in the head: