Mancini Trade Package

bird watcher

14 hours ago, ChuckS said:

He's all those things, but he is also fairly replaceable.  We will need to find a place for Ryan Mountcastle when he is ready.  Makes sense to move Mancini if you can get a decent package back.  We need more infielders and pitchers, not 1B/DH types.  

I agree with this.    It just depends on whether we can get a decent return in a trade.   If we can, we should jump at it.    If not, then hold on to Mancini.   

13 hours ago, Philip said:

Just checked. SD 1B Eric Hoster is hitting 301 right now, and he has an enormous contract. They aren’t interested in Mancini.

You would think with us getting basically Villar and nothing else in our trade-off last year people wouldn't want to trade our players away.  With so many teams trying to tank we aren't getting much for Mancini and I am not sure why we want to trade him anyway.  He has several more years under team control.  He can DH when Mountcastle comes up.  

1 minute ago, atomic said:

You would think with us getting basically Villar and nothing else in our trade-off last year people wouldn't want to trade our players away.  With so many teams trying to tank we aren't getting much for Mancini and I am not sure why we want to trade him anyway.  He has several more years under team control.  He can DH when Mountcastle comes up.  

Most players we dealt were heading towards FA or coming off injuries/down years. 

The value of Gausman was negated because ownership wanted to get rid of the O’Day contract. 

Mancini is producing and has 3 more years of control. Not a similar situation. 

10 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Most players we dealt were heading towards FA or coming off injuries/down years. 

The value of Gausman was negated because ownership wanted to get rid of the O’Day contract. 

Mancini is producing and has 3 more years of control. Not a similar situation

Mancini is a first baseman.  The easiest position to fill in baseball.  Those other guys were all much better at their positions than Mancini.  If you are trading him you are just trading him to trade him.  You aren't going to get much in return. Villar has more value than Mancini.

4 minutes ago, atomic said:

Mancini is a first baseman.  The easiest position to fill in baseball.  Those other guys were all much better at their positions than Mancini.  If you are trading him you are just trading him to trade him.  You aren't going to get much in return. Villar has more value than Mancini.

I don’t know of anyone who wants Mancini dealt for the sake of dealing him. No one is saying he would bring back a for sure prospect. That said you are selling him a little short. He would be a valuable player on a contender. All depends on fit. 

5 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I don’t know of anyone who wants Mancini dealt for the sake of dealing him. No one is saying he would bring back a for sure prospect. That said you are selling him a little short. He would be a valuable player on a contender. All depends on fit

I don't understand the overvaluation of Mancini on this board.  Everyone says WAR is what matters.  And as soon as talk turns to Mancini it doesn't matter anymore.   He is down to 0.6 WAR.  And falling fast.  He is 4th in WAR of position players on a team full of waiver claims. 

On 5/24/2019 at 4:42 PM, jgjbanker said:

For those of you more knowledge than me, if ME decides to move Trey, what would be a reasonable package we could expect to get back for him? 

To me it boils down to timing. If a contender loses a bad (to injury) and needs a 1B and/or DH the Orioles should try to strike while the iron is hot. 1B in particular seems to be a little thinner than in recent years. The Rays could certainly use an upgrade. 

23 minutes ago, atomic said:

Wouldn't the appropriate response to possibly not getting a lot of talent in last year's selloff be to hope the new people in charge do better in trades in the future?  Rather than assuming the results from a few trades from 2018 means that trades don't work?

Shouldn't the Orioles be evaluating the potential returns for Mancini, and whether or not to trade him, based on actual offers for Manicni rather than generalities and broad-brush conclusions based on how many teams are uncompetitive?

6 minutes ago, atomic said:

I don't understand the overvaluation of Mancini on this board.  Everyone says WAR is what matters.  And as soon as talk turns to Mancini it doesn't matter anymore.   He is down to 0.6 WAR.  And falling fast.  He is 4th in WAR of position players on a team full of waiver claims. 

Is it even possible for you to be objective?  Every single post is pure spin.

47 minutes ago, atomic said:

And why is that?  Because he is playing in the OF?

Perhaps on a contender they may have a need at 1B or DH.  No one is saying is a premium defender at a premium position. 

8 minutes ago, atomic said:

I am the one that is objective.  Everyone else is irrational in regards to Mancini.  

Reminds me of the story; you run into an a-hole in the morning you ran into an a-hole. You run into a-holes all day, you’re the a-hole.

7 minutes ago, Il BuonO said:

Reminds me of the story; you run into an a-hole in the morning you ran into an a-hole. You run into a-holes all day, you’re the a-hole.

I am not sure why everyone overrated Mancini. Why do you overrate him?  You can see his WAR this season and last can't you?  I am not sure what your parable has to do with anything.  It is pretty common for most people to be wrong about something.  That is why we had the real estate market crash and the internet bubble of 2000.  I tried arguing with people about both of these before they happened but people like to have the same opinion of everyone else for some reason.