How About Dem Coaches?

mdbdotcom

After today's game the O's season will be at the 1/3 mark, so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about whether certain coaches will or should be replaced after this season.

We all know that the most sought after major league coaches who were available after last season had found positions by the time Hyde was hired and the search for coaches began. Hyde and Elias should have more options this year if they want to make changes.

What changes would you make?

9 minutes ago, TheOtherRipken said:

Give Hyde absolutely no chance to win then fire him, sounds about right in line with Orioles history.

Who said anything about firing Hyde? I asked if any of his coaches should be replaced when he has more options.

32 minutes ago, mdbdotcom said:

After today's game the O's season will be at the 1/3 mark, so I was wondering if anyone had thoughts about whether certain coaches will or should be replaced after this season.

We all know that the most sought after major league coaches who were available after last season had found positions by the time Hyde was hired and the search for coaches began. Hyde and Elias should have more options this year if they want to make changes.

I think Brocail will be re assigned within the organization the way he was with the Astros.  He has helped Cashner but Cashner will be gone.  I think Elias/Hyde can do better.

Interesting about the pitchers.  The O's could see Means, Akin, Lowther, Zimmerman, Kremer in the rotation at some point next season.

Long stays as hitting coach. Cossins stays as catcher coach and (bench?) coach.

Chris Holt could get a bigger job.  He has really helped John Means with his change up.

1 hour ago, mdbdotcom said:

It’s way too early for that. 

2 minutes ago, Tx Oriole said:

It’s way too early for that. 

I'll be surprised if our assessments of the coaches change. They've had all of spring training and a third of the season. I doubt any changes will be made now, but there could be some once the season ends.

3 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

I'll be surprised if our assessments of the coaches change. They've had all of spring training and a third of the season. I doubt any changes will be made now, but there could be some once the season ends.

Maybe so.

If I saw more evidence of good players playing poorly (e.g. 2018), I’d be more concerned about coaching. Right now I don’t see enough evidence they’re the problem (although they might be). There’s just a lot of bad players on this team.

6 hours ago, mdbdotcom said:

As the rebuild progresses you might see some coaches who're good at getting production out of castoffs and reclamation projects replaced by coaches who're better at development of higher-end young talent.  Theoretically. 

But we're not anywhere close to that stage yet.

On 5/27/2019 at 9:57 AM, wildcard said:

Chris Holt could get a bigger job.  He has really helped John Means with his change up.

I’d argue that MiL pitching coordinator might be one of the most important jobs in the whole organization.   That’s why Elias made it a priority to go grab Holt.

I certainly don't know how to quantify his other duties, but I'm not seeing it with Flores.  He has had some absolutely awful sends this year, and our baserunning as a whole has been shaky. Not saying its all his fault, but unimpressive so far.

Archived