There Are Rumblings That the O's Will Not Take Rutschman

Greg Pappas

• Replies 488
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Are We There Yet? 

So how many pages of praise  or negativity after the pick?

This pick is the result of all of last years losing.  While there is way more to this draft we won't know for years how this really turns out.  So for that reason I'd imagine a LOT of pages of praise and negativity.

11 minutes ago, Sessh said:

So, ok. The five tools are hitting for average, hitting for power, defense, arm strength and speed.

If we can be reasonably sure that Vaughn will hit, then that's two tools plus he should be able to carry a high OBP with his plate discipline. His speed is average at best, so what about the other two? Arm strength is moot for a first baseman, isn't it? The only thing I want a better idea on is his defensive ability because that seems to be almost entirely based on his height. I don't care about his height. I care about whether or not he will be a liability or if he can hold his own over there. I don't need him to be a gold glover, but I want to know more though I can't really find anything other than the All Defensive Team last season along with his Golden Spikes award.

So, as a first baseman, only four tools mean anything. He's definitely got two and average on another, so how good or bad is he really defensively? That's the question I have right now.

Here’s one way to look at Rutschman vs. Vaughn: per BB-ref, catcher gets a WAR adjustment of about +0.9, 1B gets a WAR adjustment of about -0.9.    So, to prefer the 1B, he would need to produce 1.8+ oWAR more than the catcher, assuming they are both average defensively at their position.    But since Rutschman is projected to be well above average defensively, while Vaughn is projected to be average or below defensively, the offensive gap might need to be more like 3.0 oWAR.

Archived