2019 2nd round COMP B pick (71): Kyle Stowers - CF - Stanford (CA)

9 hours ago, Aglets said:

Luke had him at 53.

Wonder when we take our first pitcher.

This does hint to me the regime feels good about our basket of pitchers.  If the gods are kind to Hall and Rodriguez, we're one year away from our Rutschman bookend and a fair shot at 2022 relevance.  Those three and next year's pick could all be among MLB's Top 40 prospects after the 2020 season.

In terms of the core pieces of our next good team, post draft I'm hoping more for Diaz to get back on track, so we have two shots to follow Means as someone pushing for Rookie of the Year votes next season.

8 hours ago, Luke-OH said:

It’s not a sexy pick, but he’s got a shot to be 50s across the board. Big time Cape Cod performance. His Junior numbers at Stanford are fairly comparable to Piscotty, which would be really solid value at 71. There definitely more power than he’s shown, look at his hand drift forward with the hips. Simple fix, same thing Nico Hoerner did.

I wonder if Hyde interacted much with the Cubs development staff last summer, or may have any Cubs-specific Stanford-fix knowledge.

Also it hadn't occurred to me before, but a Stanford pick gives me the thought that Mike Mussina would get along much better with this leadership than past ones - it would be enjoyable to see him closer to the next good team.

49 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Elias continues his build up the middle strategy. C, SS and now CF. All have a lot of upside clearly. Of course the SS may end up a 3B and the CF a corner, but still, athletic types.

Yes, I like the strategy.   

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Is it really an up the middle strategy when two of the three are more likely not to be up the middle players.  I like the strategy that all three project to be at least average or better defenders "somewhere" with offensive upside.  I like the best player available strategy.  I think that's all we're seeing.

No, not necessarily an up the middle strategy, but we’re picking guys who can move down the defensive spectrum a little and still have the bat to carry them at that spot, and they’re athletic.    It’s not a bunch of guys whose ultimate home is 1B/LF.

5 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

So with the big time Cap Cod performance, I’d think that would give our Analytics more data to predict what he might become?

I like the draft so far. Don’t reach for pitching. Plus it always seems like bats are the safer picks. 

Yeah, you have Cape Cod stats and three years of PAC12 stats, they can probably project with a higher level of confidence than a small school guy who plays in the coastal plain league over the summer. They also have some trackman data on him. 

1 hour ago, OrioleDog said:

This does hint to me the regime feels good about our basket of pitchers.  If the gods are kind to Hall and Rodriguez, we're one year away from our Rutschman bookend and a fair shot at 2022 relevance.  Those three and next year's pick could all be among MLB's Top 40 prospects after the 2020 season.

In terms of the core pieces of our next good team, post draft I'm hoping more for Diaz to get back on track, so we have two shots to follow Means as someone pushing for Rookie of the Year votes next season.

You take the best player available.  If you need pitchers to fill out a roster you can take them in a later round.  If there was a better pitcher available I am sure they would have taken him

2 minutes ago, atomic said:

You take the best player available.  If you need pitchers to fill out a roster you can take them in a later round.  If there was a better pitcher available I am sure they would have taken him

That’s what Elias said.   He said pitchers were on their board for the 42nd and 71st pick but the hitters available were rated higher by them.    

I am sure they’ll select some pitchers today, but I’m on board with drafting the best players they believe they can sign, whether they’re pitchers or hitters.   By the way, I haven’t studied the list of who’s been at extended spring training and available to join Aberdeen and the GCL teams, but our last two drafts were extremely pitcher-heavy so I expect we have some pitchers down there ready to go.    Jake Zebron comes to mind as a guy who did well in the GCL and probably will be at Aberdeen.

26 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Luke, I believe you said Stowers had 50 tools across the board. Firstly, is 50 average?  Secondly, I read one report that seemed to suggest that his raw power was well above average.  ??

50 is average, I’ve heard above average raw, but not plus of anything. Game power is below raw. So yeah I’d say he projects optimistically to 50s across the board. 

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

That’s what Elias said.   He said pitchers were on their board for the 42nd and 71st pick but the hitters available were rated higher by them.    

I am sure they’ll select some pitchers today, but I’m on board with drafting the best players they believe they can sign, whether they’re pitchers or hitters.   By the way, I haven’t studied the list of who’s been at extended spring training and available to join Aberdeen and the GCL teams, but our last two drafts were extremely pitcher-heavy so I expect we have some pitchers down there ready to go.    Jake Zebron comes to mind as a guy who did well in the GCL and probably will be at Aberdeen.

It only  makes sense to draft best player available as most of these guys will never make the bi

6 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

I wonder if Hyde interacted much with the Cubs development staff last summer, or may have any Cubs-specific Stanford-fix knowledge.

Also it hadn't occurred to me before, but a Stanford pick gives me the thought that Mike Mussina would get along much better with this leadership than past ones - it would be enjoyable to see him closer to the next good team.

I don't think them picking some guy out of Stanford 30 years after he left is going to make any difference to him.  

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...