How Does AR Affect Sisco?

Bahama O's Fan

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just my impression, but I don’t think Sisco is going to be adequate on the left side of the infield.    He’s slow afoot and doesn’t have a particularly strong arm.   

I think he could try it.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, weams said:

Third Base

Everyone in history with 200+ games played at both catcher and third base:

Rk          Player WAR/pos From   To   Age    G   PA   AB    R    H  2B  3B  HR  RBI  BB IBB   SO HBP
1        Joe Torre    57.6 1960 1977 19-36 2209 8802 7874  996 2342 344  59 252 1185 779 127 1094  85
2       Lave Cross    46.7 1887 1907 21-41 2277 9741 9084 1338 2651 411 136  47 1378     466  217  31
3     Deacon White    45.7 1871 1890 23-42 1560 6973 6624 1140 2067 270  98  24  988     308  221  41
4     B.J. Surhoff    34.4 1987 2005 22-40 2313 9106 8258 1062 2326 440  42 188 1153 640  81  839  33
5     Duke Farrell    31.0 1888 1905 21-38 1565 6263 5682  829 1572 211 123  52  916     480  369  50
6     Brandon Inge    19.2 2001 2013 24-36 1532 5617 5014  563 1166 228  38 152  648 443  16 1306  68
7    Doggie Miller    19.1 1884 1896 19-31 1318 5695 5171  839 1381 192  57  33  567     467  129  45

It doesn't happen often, but when it does it works out okay. Even when you lower the threshold to 50 games at each position you get 44 players with a median value of 15 WAR.  That's pretty astounding.  You don't do too many simple searches that end up with a third of the players with 35+ win careers.  

You also have to love a search that lumps together Jimmie Foxx, Cap Anson, Johnny Bench, King Kelly, Earl Williams, Keith Moreland, and Floyd Rayford. Also Eric Munson, former #3 overall pick with a sub-replacement career value.

47 minutes ago, weams said:

Third Base

I was thinking maybe second.  Don't think his bat would play as a third baseman even if he reaches his ceiling.  Plus its not like the team has any middle infield prospects in the upper minors that are knocking down the door. 

49 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just my impression, but I don’t think Sisco is going to be adequate on the left side of the infield.    He’s slow afoot and doesn’t have a particularly strong arm.   

Reaction time matters more at third base than speed.  If he has the arm to make that throw from catcher to 2B he should have enough for 3B, which allows for more time to set your feet and get some momentum behind the throw. 

I was always under the impression that it was his footwork behind the plate rather than his arm that caused the throwing problems.  He was a SS in high school.  I think it's worth a try. 

3 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

If he could play anywhere besides C and maybe 1B, wouldn't we have tried that by now?

No. They decided to develop him as a catcher when he was drafted and he's played well enough there/shown enough improvement from season to season that the need hasn't arisen to try him somewhere else.  He also did not start catching until senior year of HS, so the plan was always patience and hope he improves. 

I don't think he has the speed for OF or middle infield, but he might have the hands and enough arm for third.  It's a long shot, but it's the only other viable position I see for him other than 1B where his bat probably won't profile. 

The original question assumes that, in a vacuum, Sisco is a competent catcher, which has yet to be seen. If his K rate comes down to average, and his hitting improves from last summer, we will find a place for him. Otherwise... well, the guy who drafted him is gone.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think Sisco needs to worry about establishing himself as a ML catcher.

He does that and he'll have a future somewhere.

Exactly.  He need to show the team he is better than Wynn and Sucre.  

54 minutes ago, atomic said:

Exactly.  He need to show the team he is better than Wynn and Sucre.  

While it’s reasonable to expect him to meet that threshold (that is, he better do that), it seems a bit odd that your starting assumption is that he’s not yet as good as those two. 

Archived