2019 6th round pick (168): Maverick Handley - C - (JR) Stanford CA

17 hours ago, OrioleDog said:

A Delmarva home game with a Rodriguez/Rutschman battery might be an irresistible road trip.

Don't see that happening this year.   Adley is apparently not going to catch very much the rest of the year.  Think your better chance to see that is in Frederick come May of next year. 

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Maverick just picked off the runner at first base during the Mississippi State game. Ben MacDonald, the play-by-play guy, said that was his ninth pickoff this year. It was a strong, accurate throw. He followed that up with a swinging strike out on a sharp breaking ball the following inning.

On 6/4/2019 at 7:37 PM, Sessh said:

I found it interesting after he was selected last night that the guys on MLB Network were saying that Adley is also a first baseman. I felt better about selecting him after that and I would expect first base to be his long term position. I don't think Mountcastle is the answer due to his lack of plate discipline and very low walk numbers. I think he may have trouble succeeding at the ML level, maybe a Chris Carter type offensively. Hope I'm wrong, but if Rutschman is everything we hope he is, I would rather him be playing first base than catcher. I hope you're right.. even if your comment was tongue-in-cheek.

Yes, whenever I write something in green unerasable ink, it's a sure thing I meant it tongue in cheek.  And I completely disagree with you - as we previously discussed.  I also disagree with your take on Mountcastle.  His lack of walks is a valid issue, but it's not a reason in and of itself to write him off.  I think he's the best hitter in the O's system.  Just curious, would you also write off Hays for the same reason?  

9 minutes ago, Ruzious said:

Yes, whenever I write something in green unerasable ink, it's a sure thing I meant it tongue in cheek.  And I completely disagree with you - as we previously discussed.  I also disagree with your take on Mountcastle.  His lack of walks is a valid issue, but it's not a reason in and of itself to write him off.  I think he's the best hitter in the O's system.  Just curious, would you also write off Hays for the same reason?  

I agree with all of your feelings as to this. Though Mountcastle doesn't need to walk much. 

• 2 weeks later...

@jonathanmayo

6th-rd @MLBDraft pick Maverick Handley signs w/@Orioles for $250K (pick 168 value = $301.6K). @StanfordBSB backstop is a very good defender who can really throw. Good on-base skills at plate. 

Save some more bucks!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived