2019 22nd round pick (648): Jake Lyons -RHP - (JR) Oklahoma State (OK)

• 3 weeks later...

Looked good in his first appearance in Aberdeen:  2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 K's.  

Worth pointing out that he's very age appropriate for the league.  Doesn't turn 21 until August. Like to hear some reports on his stuff.  His numbers at OK State were not impressive (reason he was likely available in the 22nd round) but his usage was all over the place.  Maybe if he sticks to 1-2 innings out of the bullpen and focuses on just two pitches he could end up being a MLB bullpen piece. 

At 6'5, 282 I imagine he at least has a decent fastball. 

• 1 month later...

Five inning no-no last night!

"Lyons, 20, covered the first five innings, striking out five while throwing 41 of 61 pitches for strikes. He faced one over the minimum in the outing, with a leadoff walk in the third inning representing the lone blemish on his performance. It was Lyons’ third career start as a professional after the Orioles took him in the 22nd round of this year’s Draft out of Oklahoma State. Overall, the 6-foot-5 right-hander has compiled a 3.27 ERA with 27 strikeouts and two walks in 22 innings spanning outings."

https://www.mlb.com/news/orioles-prospects-throw-combined-no-hitter?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

EB0FxahWsAADjlJ?format=jpg&name=large

On 6/26/2019 at 10:27 PM, ChuckS said:

Looked good in his first appearance in Aberdeen:  2 IP, 1 H, 0 ER, 4 K's.  

Worth pointing out that he's very age appropriate for the league.  Doesn't turn 21 until August. Like to hear some reports on his stuff.  His numbers at OK State were not impressive (reason he was likely available in the 22nd round) but his usage was all over the place.  Maybe if he sticks to 1-2 innings out of the bullpen and focuses on just two pitches he could end up being a MLB bullpen piece. 

At 6'5, 282 I imagine he at least has a decent fastball. 

Per @Luke-OH in another thread on Aberdeen's rotation:

"I think the fastball velocity is lackluster as well. But yeah, I’m not writing the guy off on a bad report."

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

• 2nd in AL CYA 8 IP of 1 run ball in the playoffs What more could he have done?  Maybe if we let him go those extra 5+ IP in the regular season then he lands on the IL.  We still would've been in the WC round anyway.   We should've let him DH over Adley, I guess.  
    • I'm not sure that is it - just hasn't had enough opportunities to be a regular in the lineup. He is placed in the high leverage situations out of desperation for platoon advantage.
    • Yes, Elias' Waltimore cost the Orioles two runs yesterday and took one away from the Royals. 
    • Its just on the other side of the Ravens stadium. Not a bad walk. Parked there in regular season, went game 2 and it was free. Went later in the summer is was $5. As someone coming from Delaware, its perfect because I can pull right out and go to the light and turn left on 295 and be heading home without having to zig zag through all the side streets that you have to do when parking in stadium lots. 
    • Around the trading deadline, the Royals went and got Lucas Erceg from the A's for P Mason Barnett (minors), Jared Dickey (minors) and P Will Klein.  Looking at those three prospects, two were pitchers with Barrett being the best prospect of them all but was more on the 4th/5th starter level.  Elias went cheap and went for Dominguez by trading away Hays. Erceg immediate became the closer and pitched well: Notice the no home runs allowed and all top it all he's never allowed a stolen base while on the mound. Only one guy even attempted it and was caught. Seems like the perfect match to be a closer, no home runs, he misses bats, throw 99 MPH, and you can't steal off him.  Elias went out and got Seranthony Dominguez who was then made closer, then lost it.  Dominguez, who has always had a homer problem, allowed 6 in just 22.2 innings, and base runners are 21 for 23 in their career running off him.  He did only blow one save opportunity but allowed two walk off home runs. There are two points I'd like to make. One, it took pitching prospects to get a good relief pitcher and two, Erceg was the kind of reliever the Orioles should have been targeting at the trade deadline.   
    • No, I'm not missing the point. I really kind of addressed it when I said he can do what he wants in his free time and we're allowed to say things like Instagram videos with his girlfriends are stupid.   Asking questions isn't proving points, or making points.  Like I said, it's borderline conspiracy theory...trying to find reasoning when reasoning isn't readily visible.  That's why we're upset here, because he's suddenly gone off a cliff and we're searching for answers because there's no obvious injury, right? But like I said, we can't call him a good leader and extol all his virtues and then turn right around and wonder if he's easily distracted.  It's either one or the other...and we've been praising him about his leadership qualities ever since he came up.  And now we want to wonder if he's distracted?  By a girl? I know you're not saying it's definitely the case, but I think it's silly that anyone would suggest a girlfriend is the possible reason he's not working as hard and he's not watching as much tape (I'm addressing your point here, to be clear) and he's not the leader he once was and the reason why he's lost .100 points in OPS from '23.  IMO, he looks out of shape.  He looks like he's gained weight.  Kind of hard to tell if that's good weight or bad weight, but he just doesn't look the same. That said, weight gain doesn't explain why his plate approach has gone to ****.  A girlfriend doesn't explain that, either.
    • Urias didn’t hit well down the stretch. He had a 654 OPs after coming back. 
  • Popular Contributors