An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

2 minutes ago, El_Duderino said:

I heard a comp on him to Mookie Betts a week ago. I paused for a second with a chuckle, but then I saw it. He’s quick twitch with barrel and power. Not sure he’s an infielder at the next level, but he’s electric. 

29 minutes ago, Jammer7 said:

I heard a comp on him to Mookie Betts a week ago. I paused for a second with a chuckle, but then I saw it. He’s quick twitch with barrel and power. Not sure he’s an infielder at the next level, but he’s electric. 

Gives me Anthony Rendon vibes, with more athleticism. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, El_Duderino said:

Gives me Anthony Rendon vibes, with more athleticism. 

I can see that. Much more athletic than Rendon. If he ends up with that kind of barrel control, wow. I need to see more of him with a glove on his hand, but even as an OF he’s top of the charts with Hancock, at the moment. Dylan Crews, Lake Mary HS (FL) OF, is pretty special as well. Watch that kid hit...

I saw Rendon’s bp in Spring Training once. He is a true technician. I saw him hit 11/12 line drives into the screen behind 2B. He said that was his target before he hit, and the. He did it. Just missed the other one about a foot over the screen. It was a wow moment for me.  

• Upvote 1

I don't know if this guy has the defensive prowess to be in the 1-1 conversation (he's a 3B and I'm not sure how good he is there) but the bat really caught my eye, kind of a wow barrel exit for a high school guy. Dude is getting top of class exit velocities and he's not even using his lower half effectively yet. It's early, but looks like a 1st round type to me. The speed (60 present, the type of body that he'll probably slow down) and arm should be good enough for RF if 3B doesn't work and it's a potential impact bat. 

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...

Fangraph's has updated their early Top Prospects List for the 2020 Draft:

Emerson Hancock RHP 21.0 6' 4" 200 R R Georgia  

Spencer Torkelson 1B 20.8 6' 1" 205 R R Arizona State  

Austin Martin SS 21.2 6' 0" 170 R R Vanderbilt  

Mick Abel RHP 18.8 6' 6" 185 R R Jesuit HS OR Oregon State
45+

Cole Wilcox RHP 20.9 6' 5" 220 R R Georgia  
45+

Dylan Crews RF 18.3 6' 0" 175 R R Lake Mary HS FL LSU

Pete Crow-Armstrong CF 18.2 6' 1" 175 L L Harvard Westlake HS CA Vanderbilt

Austin Hendrick RF 19.0 6' 1" 195 L L West Allegheny HS PA Mississippi State

Garrett Crochet LHP 21.0 6' 5" 210 L L Tennessee  

Jared Kelley RHP 18.7 6' 2" 200 R R Refugio HS TX TCU

https://i909.photobucket.com/albums/ac294/gregpappasjr/Top 33 Prospects_zpsao3pmdxk.jpg

We might as well be looking at the 2021 top prospects as well. Heck, maybe even Kumar Rocker in 2022, but that would be 4 straight #1 picks. 

I think I’d want us to take the top NCAA P. The 1B is out just because of positional value. Just comes down to whoever are scouts like and what they will sign for. 

I believe we get a comp pick next year after the 1st rd instead of after the 2nd like this year. That increases our bonus pool. If there is no clear cut #1(like AR or Witt) then maybe draft based on who gives you chance to sign a tough sign with the comp pick and pick at the top of the 2nd. 

6 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We might as well be looking at the 2021 top prospects as well. Heck, maybe even Kumar Rocker in 2022, but that would be 4 straight #1 picks. 

I think I’d want us to take the top NCAA P. The 1B is out just because of positional value. Just comes down to whoever are scouts like and what they will sign for. 

I believe we get a comp pick next year after the 1st rd instead of after the 2nd like this year. That increases our bonus pool. If there is no clear cut #1(like AR or Witt) then maybe draft based on who gives you chance to sign a tough sign with the comp pick and pick at the top of the 2nd. 

Kumar Rocker is 2021.