An Early Look at the 2020 Draft's Top Prospects

It's VERY early, but folks (like me) are already looking ahead to what will likely be a Top 3 draft choice in the 2020 MLB Draft.
So, I'll be providing links to lists or articles that feature the top prospects. Be sure to note the dates given in some of the links, as those articles will become outdated as time passes.  Fangraphs' link is updated periodically.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just curious, how did the projected top 10 for 2019 look at this time last year?    I remember Witt was a very hot topic.   

Here’s a mock draft from last June 6 that had Logan Davidson going no. 1 and Adley Rutschman going 24.   https://www.google.com/amp/s/syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/2779712-2019-mlb-mock-draft-early-predictions-for-top-1st-round-baseball-prospects.amp.html

16 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Just curious, how did the projected top 10 for 2019 look at this time last year?    I remember Witt was a very hot topic.   

At this point last year, 2080 posted this article: https://2080baseball.com/2018/06/mlb-draft-ten-names-for-2019/

Half of their early Top Ten went in the first round, though Witt Jr was the consensus early favorite. I recall you, I, and others warning folks that this is just an early look and these rankings and list will likely change.  Many talked about Witt in the early going as if it was a foregone conclusion he'd be our pick, but we know how that turned out. Now I've seen Blaze Jordan & Emerson Hancock being mentioned to us, but again caution folks to recognize early lists for what they are... possibilities and speculation. The truly relevant info will come next May+.

Just now, Greg Pappas said:

At this point last year, 2080 posted this article: https://2080baseball.com/2018/06/mlb-draft-ten-names-for-2019/

Half of their early Top Ten went in the first round, though Witt Jr was the consensus early favorite. I recall you, I, and others warning folks that this is just an early look and these rankings and list will likely change.  Many talked about Witt in the early going as if it was a foregone conclusion he'd be our pick, but we know how that turned out. Now I've seen Blaze Jordan & Emerson Hancock being mentioned to us, but again caution folks to recognize early lists for what they are... possibilities and speculation.

Luke isn’t that high on Blaze Jordan.    

57 minutes ago, joelala said:

potentially lots of pitching next year, it seems.

That would be great. 
If I were to choose which position I'd like the top couple of prospects to play, it'd be pitcher/starter.
We have some top quality pitching prospects on the way, but we need more. 
A ToR hurler would be an incredible get, especially a collegian that would have an ETA around the same time as our other top guys. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Frobby said:

Immediately after last year's draft, Jonathan Mayo had Witt first and Rutschman second in his top 10. He also got three more of the top 10.

Really like the sounds of the Fangraph's write up on Hancock: Sits 92-96 with a plus change up. We're seeing the effectiveness of a big time change up. 

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

That would be great. 
If I were to choose which position I'd like the top couple of prospects to play, it'd be pitcher/starter.
We have some top quality pitching prospects on the way, but we need more. 
A ToR hurler would be an incredible get, especially a collegian that would have an ETA around the same time as our other top guys. 

Elias will say he wants best player available, and I completely support that rationale, but it would be great if that BPA is also someone who can be reaching OPACY within a season or so of Hall, GrayRod and Rutschman. 

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

How did not picking Posey work out?

Best available, best available, best available, best available.........

Even if it is another great catcher, some fall through and you can move people around.  Posey was an athlete, plain and simple.  That was the problem with prior drafts.  They drafted for position.  If you draft for position, you are possibly taking someone not as good.  Give me 10 Buster Poseys and I will show you 5 that turn out because of various reasons, a couple that can change positions and a couple that can be traded for positions of need.