How much was the largest MLB draft bonus ever signed?

wildcard

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I think it was in 2011, Mariners - Daniel Hultzen - LHP - $8.5 million

"Hultzen, the Mariners’ No. 1 draft choice in June, had just signed a five-year major-league deal that will guarantee him $8.5 million. According to sources, Hultzen received a $6.35 million signing bonus, and the maximum value of the deal is $10.6 million. The guarantee is the fifth-largest in draft history."

13 minutes ago, atomic said:

Google is your friend:

1. Gerrit Cole, Pirates: $8 million (1st overall in 2011)
  2. Stephen Strasburg, Nationals: $7.5 million (1st overall in 2009)
  3. Bubba Starling, Royals: $7.5 million (5th overall in 2011)
  4. Casey Mize, Tigers: $7.5 million (1st overall in 2018)
  5. Hunter Greene, Reds: $7.23 million (2nd overall in 2017)

So Bobby Witt jr who just signed for 7.8m is now #2.  And Rutschman is likely to be #1.

1 minute ago, wildcard said:

So Bobby Witt jr who just signed for 7.8m is now #2.  And Rutschman is likely to be #1.

I think we'll see.

In practice it doesn't always work that the higher the pick the bigger the bonus.

If Rutschman has already agreed to lets say 7.5M you think he reneges on his word and demands more?

1 minute ago, NCRaven said:

If he already agreed to $7.5mil, he would likely already be signed.

Word was a rough outline was done but not the fine details.  To me that means the signing bonus has probably been ironed out.  Elias would need that number to coordinate the rest of the draft.

8 minutes ago, NCRaven said:

It seems to be taking longer than I thought it would or should if that was the case.  Several other top picks have signed, including Witt at #2.

My main point was just that I don't think Witt signing is going to cause AR to change his number.

I was going to say Waynesboro native Matt White got 10+ million but that wasn't exactly a Draft Bonus...

From Wiki:

Matthew Edward White (born August 13, 1978) is a retired professional baseball pitcher.

He attended Waynesboro Area High School :D from 1993-1996. He had a 0.65 ERA in high school. He was named USA Today 's Baseball Player of the Year. He was also named Gatorade's Pennsylvania Player of the Year.

White was drafted by the San Francisco Giants in the 1996 amateur draft, but his agent Scott Boras found a loophole that allowed White to become a free agent after the Giants failed to offer him a contract in the required 10-day time allotted. He received a $10.2 million signing bonus in 1996 with the Tampa Bay Devil Rays. Shoulder and back injuries limited White to 122 minor league games during his career. He never played in the major leagues.

4 hours ago, NCRaven said:

If he already agreed to $7.5mil, he would likely already be signed.

Regardless of what anyone has agreed to, the Orioles have not announced any signings yet. I think it’s pretty obvious that they’ve signed draftees already. So we aren’t to the point where we can assume someone’s difficulty to sign or bonus requirement based on lack of announcement of them being inked.

On the amateur draft board, I posted the dates that the last 5-6 no. 1-1 picks signed.    Most signed June 17-25, with an outlier or two on either side.    Dansby Swanson signed right at the July 17 deadline, while of course, Brady Aiken didn’t sign at all.    Casey Mize last year was June 25.    So this may take a little while.   

Archived