Is This the Bottom?

Aristotelian

Last night was our 10th loss in a row, and 15th loss of the last 16. Winning % down to .276 puts us on track to finish even worse than last year and in the top 10 all time worst MLB seasons in the modern era. Last night was particularly frustrating, as we blew a 3 run lead, go down 10-3, then come back only to fall one run short against a sub-.500 SEA team. This after a frustrating game in which Bundy was staked a small lead but the offense missed opportunities to pad and Bundy and the bullpen fell apart in the 6th.

After signs of life, Davis is back to his under .300 SLG. The bullpen top to bottom has been absolutely atrocious despite guys with some MLB success.

Are we really this bad? I say this is the bottom. We are bad but not this bad. Means would be a huge story if this wasn't a lost season (let's hope he is OK). Bundy is looking at least decent. Severino has been very productive (I still say he deserves an All Star reserve spot). I say Cashner gets us a win tonight and our winning % will not drop below .276 again this season.

10 minutes ago, waroriole said:

The second place team? The team that won 90 last year? Serious answers only please

That was about as serious an answer as I can give.

There are worse things than a couple of rebuilding years. We could be in the thick of the pennant race, and in danger of losing the team.

A little perspective might be in order.

Edited by owknows
  • Upvote 3

Just now, mdoriolefan said:

I don't know about the NBA or NHL but in NFL I would say the Browns are pretty hapless.  I also think the Marlins are pretty terrible in their structure.  They seem to be a talent farm for other teams.

Browns might be favorites to win the division but they have been really terrible. 

Marlins have two WS wins since our last appearance and they didn’t exist for 10 years after our 83 win. 

Just now, waroriole said:

Browns might be favorites to win the division but they have been really terrible. 

Marlins have two WS wins since our last appearance and they didn’t exist for 10 years after our 83 win. 

I don't follow the Marlins so I am not an expert on them.  That's just what the past few years have looked like.  I don't know if they will ever get back to the way they were able to win those first few years.  It was just an off hand observation of the jettisoning of the talent the past few years.  Here is an article that kind of explains my thought process. 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/25557502/jt-realmuto-trade-continues-stunningly-sad-marlins-tradition

1 hour ago, Aristotelian said:

Last night was our 10th loss in a row, and 15th loss of the last 16. Winning % down to .276 puts us on track to finish even worse than last year and in the top 10 all time worst MLB seasons in the modern era. Last night was particularly frustrating, as we blew a 3 run lead, go down 10-3, then come back only to fall one run short against a sub-.500 SEA team. This after a frustrating game in which Bundy was staked a small lead but the offense missed opportunities to pad and Bundy and the bullpen fell apart in the 6th.

After signs of life, Davis is back to his under .300 SLG. The bullpen top to bottom has been absolutely atrocious despite guys with some MLB success.

Are we really this bad? I say this is the bottom. We are bad but not this bad. Means would be a huge story if this wasn't a lost season (let's hope he is OK). Bundy is looking at least decent. Severino has been very productive (I still say he deserves an All Star reserve spot). I say Cashner gets us a win tonight and our winning % will not drop below .276 again this season.

I think we have at least 1 more season after this before we start to see improvement.

pitching is bad and less than 3 runs per game. Roster is littered with AAAA or lesser talent