Gunnar Henderson signs

Luke-OH

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

Ok.

So therefore, the odds are stacked against Gunnar.  I'm saying if any team has the 42nd pick, they should just not use it.  Why would you?  It's a 12% chance it'll work out.  Chris Davis has a better batting average.  Be smart, use that money elsewhere.   We shouldn't sign this kid, 12% chance he works out.

He was wrong The odds are not stacked against pick 42 and below when picked and signed. He did not have the formula ready to slap you with on the totality of those who could be picked at 42. So it is not a math problem. 

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, maybenxtyr said:

I was more asking about his talent level. I jumped over to his draft thread and got caught up. Hopefully I'll see him in Salisbury later this season, or next. He sounds like a good talent.

Maybe next year. Perfect website name for this post. :)

We're about to sign a potential impact bat at a premium position. He has the potential to blow up (in a good way) as a prospect over the next couple of years. This is awesome. So much better than a pick like Stewart, Grenier or even Mountcastle, IMO. It may not work, but I love the profile. If we pick enough guys like this, a few will eventually stick. 

7 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Maybe next year. Perfect website name for this post. :)

We're about to sign a potential impact bat at a premium position. He has the potential to blow up (in a good way) as a prospect over the next couple of years. This is awesome. So much better than a pick like Stewart, Grenier or even Mountcastle, IMO. It may not work, but I love the profile. If we pick enough guys like this, a few will eventually stick. 

Don't sleep on Mountcastle. 

3 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Adley yes, I am not sure about Gunnar but probably.  

I think that we have four other guys who have a bit more track record with high ceilings.  The SABR guys love Akin and Mountcastle is a big bat. Grayson and DL are darlings. And of course Adley. But you would think top seven - right?

Just now, weams said:

I think that we have four other guys who have a bit more track record with high ceilings.  The SABR guys love Akin and Mountcastle is a big bat. Grayson and DL are darlings. And of course Adley. But you would think top seven = right?

Has Yusniel Diaz fallen that far?

1 minute ago, weams said:

I think that we have four other guys who have a bit more track record with high ceilings.  The SABR guys love Akin and Mountcastle is a big bat. Grayson and DL are darlings. And of course Adley. But you would think top seven - right?

Yeah, I would say in that range.  For sure top 10.  I'm certainly no expert but in the 6-7 range seems to feel right.

3 minutes ago, AceKing said:

If we sign Gunnar and Adley today, they immediately both become top 5 prospects in our organization, right?

I'd wager no. I'd put Gunnar closer to top 10 than top 5 just because of his lack of experience. However, you could absolutely make an argument that he could be around 5 based on upside alone.

Our top 4 is almost certainly AR, Grayson, DL Hall and Mountcastle in some order. After that, it gets muddy between Hays, Diaz, Kremer, Rom, Lowther, Akin, Baumann and even Adam Hall. I still really like Hanifee too. There's a mix of probability and upside in that group that's hard for high school guy to jump unless he makes a really favorable early impression with whatever affiliate he's assigned to. If it were my list, I'd be conservative where I put him this year absent awesome reports from scouts/coaches, but I'd be well-aware that he could make a huge jump in prospect rankings at the end of next season if all goes well. 

4 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Has Yusniel Diaz fallen that far?

Six Seven? Five? He's right there. He's been hurt. He's a beast. I Stanned him for three days straight this weekend so don't get me started. He has all the tools. 

1 minute ago, LookinUp said:

I'd wager no. I'd put Gunnar closer to top 10 than top 5 just because of his lack of experience. However, you could absolutely make an argument that he could be around 5 based on upside alone.

Our top 4 is almost certainly AR, Grayson, DL Hall and Mountcastle in some order. After that, it gets muddy between Hays, Diaz, Kremer, Rom, Lowther, Akin, Baumann and even Adam Hall. I still really like Hanifee too. There's a mix of probability and upside in that group that's hard for high school guy to jump unless he makes a really favorable early impression with whatever affiliate he's assigned to. If it were my list, I'd be conservative where I put him this year absent awesome reports from scouts/coaches, but I'd be well-aware that he could make a huge jump in prospect rankings at the end of next season if all goes well. 

I think Akin and Diaz are a tier above those others and then the Kremer, Bauman, Hall tier. But I'm no scout. 

Archived