Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

He will also be mostly a part time catcher and probably DH or play 1B more often than not the rest of this year. Focus is getting at bats in vs as many different styles of pitchers as possible since his catching is already well polished.

I like that Mike already has a clear cut plan as to what to do with him. I imagine he has the same play with everyone he's bringing in. I'm just not use to the team actually having solid plans and then discussing those plans. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm wondering if his first assignment is for the sake of the farm team. 

Elias said to see the facility there and for him to see each step of the way to Baltimore.  But I get your humorous non emoticon take.

11 minutes ago, Nite said:

He will also be mostly a part time catcher and probably DH or play 1B more often than not the rest of this year. Focus is getting at bats in vs as many different styles of pitchers as possible since his catching is already well polished.

I like that Mike already has a clear cut plan as to what to do with him. I imagine he has the same play with everyone he's bringing in. I'm just not use to the team actually having solid plans and then discussing those plans. 

I liked that Mike also mentioned the need to catch for Latin American pitchers and learn how to adapt to the Spanish/English conversations.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I'm wondering if his first assignment is for the sake of the farm team. 

Exactly. 

9 minutes ago, Enjoy Terror said:

Wieters started at Frederick.

I went to an Aberdeen game at the end of the year he was drafted. Wieters was actually on the cover of the program. I believe he reported there at the end of year but did not play. Of course he signed much later.  

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eddie83 said:

Exactly. 

I went to an Aberdeen game at the end of the year he was drafted. Wieters was actually on the cover of the program. I believe he reported there at the end of year but did not play. Of course he signed much later.  

Wieters did not sign until the (then) August 15 deadline, and didn’t play at all that summer.   He got sent to the Hawaiian Winter League, which at the time was sort of a low A/hi A version of the AFL. Then he started in Frederick the following year.   I won’t be at all surprised if Rutschman makes his way to Delmarva by the end of this year and starts in Frederick next season.