Adley Rutschman to start at GCL for a game or two, then to Aberdeen

MurphDogg

1 minute ago, glenn__davis said:

Still don't get why he's in the GCL. not a big deal long term but they've started the other college guys in Aberdeen.  Why is the most advanced one in Florida? Just seems like they're outsmarting themselves. 

Rewarding their minor league affiliates. 

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

Still don't get why he's in the GCL. not a big deal long term but they've started the other college guys in Aberdeen.  Why is the most advanced one in Florida? Just seems like they're outsmarting themselves. 

Ask not what the GCL can do for Ruschmann, but ask what Ruschmann can do for the GCL.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Rewarding their minor league affiliates. 

Excellent Point.  

Also so he can meet everyone , because he can play at the beautiful complex in Florida with less pressure than just north of Baltimore, etc.

If he is as advertised, then I think it is a good policy to let him have influence at every level of the org....including with Gunnar H and the Florida guys.

It won’t matter in the long run for Adley, but it may be good for a teammate or coach or someone else.

There will also be the Media circus and Elias’ availability, etc.

Edited by AceKing

21 minutes ago, glenn__davis said:

They've already explained why.

1 hour ago, glenn__davis said:

Yeah, it’s kind of silly, but my guess is we’re talking about a week or less in the GCL.   Looks like today’s game was postponed again so that’s two days of experience he’s gained on how to deal with rain-outs.

• Haha 2

50 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Yeah, it’s kind of silly, but my guess is we’re talking about a week or less in the GCL.   Looks like today’s game was postponed again so that’s two days of experience he’s gained on how to deal with rain-outs.

If Adley is going to play tomorrow the Orioles aren’t doing a very good job of promoting it. I just happened to stumble upon something on twitter where it said he was added to the roster. I would think the local media would be reporting it.  

I agree, I bet he is there about a week or so. 

Elias seems very big on gradually bringing guys back from injury or starting their pro careers, but it's kinda silly to start him off in the GCL. These rainouts are one of the reasons that league is not a very good place to start. with all of the other college high picks going straight to Aberdeen, it seems weird to start of Rutschman in a glorified good high school league. 

In the big game of things this means nothing, but I really think they are trying to avoid the media circus of his first pro at bat and that was going to happen if it was in Aberdeen. Still, the guy needs to just play.

• Upvote 1

I think he starts on in Florida to get used to the area, find a place to live.  Since the orioles anticipate him being with the big league club in a couple of years.  He can claim residency, good for tax purposes, since Florida has no state income tax.  And it will be his home every spring training.

33 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

In the big game of things this means nothing, but I really think they are trying to avoid the media circus of his first pro at bat and that was going to happen if it was in Aberdeen. Still, the guy needs to just play.

He's not Zion Williamson. We aren't the New York Yankees. There won't be a "media circus" for his first AB.

• Upvote 1

Just now, DirtyBird said:

He's not Zion Williamson. We aren't the New York Yankees. There won't be a "media circus" for his first AB.

Half the national media doesn't even know who Adley is, what college team he played for or what team drafted him