Astros Designate AJ Reed

weams

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, AceKing said:

Has he been claimed or traded yet?

We know you don’t like top 20 talent.  It’s OK.

You are mistaken and insulting, and probably many other things, but I’ll stop there.

You can go back and read my comments, I don’t need to restate them

7 hours ago, Philip said:

You are mistaken and insulting, and probably many other things, but I’ll stop there.

You can go back and read my comments, I don’t need to restate them

Dude you have said like a hundred times JUST IN THIS THREAD that you don’t want Reed.  You go back and look at your same.....old....tired....comments in this very thread.

You were wrong every time you typed before, and you are wrong now.

Wrong, and repeatedly wrong. 

And yes, we’re still talking about this, like it bothers you or something. Check yourself, sir.  For the thousandth time, we know you don’t want Reed, who was a top twenty talent.

1 hour ago, AceKing said:

Dude you have said like a hundred times JUST IN THIS THREAD that you don’t want Reed.  You go back and look at your same.....old....tired....comments in this very thread.

You were wrong every time you typed before, and you are wrong now.

Wrong, and repeatedly wrong. 

And yes, we’re still talking about this, like it bothers you or something. Check yourself, sir.  For the thousandth time, we know you don’t want Reed, who was a top twenty talent.

Ok. I am repeating myself because you are saying I don’t want a top twenty talent.

He WAS. Past tense. You said so yourself.

He ISN'T.  I don’t especially want him. You have time to go back and read my comments so do so. I just did.

I said we don’t need him, the Houston folks have a better development evaluation staff than we do and they gave up on him, and multiple people have pointed out his flaws. I also pointed out that if the Os want to take on a project that’s fine, but I see no reason to do so.

so no I’m not wrong, and I’m certainly not alone in my opinion, and you yourself admitted he was a top-20 prospect and is no longer.

The Houston people agree that he is no longer and that’s why they dumped him.

34 minutes ago, Philip said:

Ok. I am repeating myself because you are saying I don’t want a top twenty talent.

He WAS. Past tense. You said so yourself.

He ISN'T.  I don’t especially want him. You have time to go back and read my comments so do so. I just did.

I said we don’t need him, the Houston folks have a better development evaluation staff than we do and they gave up on him, and multiple people have pointed out his flaws. I also pointed out that if the Os want to take on a project that’s fine, but I see no reason to do so.

so no I’m not wrong, and I’m certainly not alone in my opinion, and you yourself admitted he was a top-20 prospect and is no longer.

The Houston people agree that he is no longer and that’s why they dumped him.

You have stated your opinion. Numerous times.  Yet you begrudge others who want to carry on with a thread.

The man is the cleanup hitter and was the best hitter on championship teams in the minor leagues. He is still plenty young.

The reason the Astros have to make this tough decision with him is because their system is full of talented players.  The Orioles do not have that problem/luxury.

If Elias and Sig want him, they should try to get him.

You are overvaluing the crappy talent on the Orioles roster.

27 minutes ago, AceKing said:

The link you posted has him at #11 pre 2016.

That was like 3 years ago.

A lot of the luster has worn off.  If we get him, fine...but I don't understand chomping at the bit to sign him.  He just turned 26 and while time still is on his side, there's not much left.  I mean, if AJ Reed was an Oriole prospect who'd flamed out in this fashion and we'd DFA'd him, would you be really upset about it?  

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

That was like 3 years ago.

A lot of the luster has worn off.  If we get him, fine...but I don't understand chomping at the bit to sign him.  He just turned 26 and while time still is on his side, there's not much left.  I mean, if AJ Reed was an Oriole prospect who'd flamed out in this fashion and we'd DFA'd him, would you be really upset about it?  

3 years ago he had 34/127

2 years ago he had 34/104

1 year ago he had 28/107

this year he had 12/35 so far.

he would still be the best hitter we have down there even with this flameout.

On 7/3/2019 at 10:54 PM, atomic said:

I thought Tommy Hunter was the main peace and Davis was a grow in.

My recollection is that they were both important pieces if not equal...a lot of  articles at the time described Davis first then Hunter in discussing the deal. 

23 hours ago, Morgan423 said:

This was my thought as well.  The Astros are not currently slouches in the player development department.  If they can't get a player to have his click moment, then other teams likely won't either.  With maybe the exception being an Arrieta mentality who desperately needs a different town to be able to get past his stumbling blocks and finish developing.  I don't know if that's Reed or not, and even if it is, odds are still not great that he'll succeed.

Word rumbling from the Astros is that Reed is resistant to change and not exactly a great presence with respect to coaching and developmental staff. Baseball is hard and it is amazing when you can even sniff AAA, so it can be very difficult for an intensely dedicated player to throw away aspects that led to everything that got them there.  Some players can do it, but that have to get low and experience something shaking enough to change lanes. Few ever do that. Most just go on doing the same thing over and over again because it once worked incredibly well.

To put it a different way, it took Justin Turner about 200 supervised hours to reprogram his swing. Few players who once experienced great success are willing to suffer through months of awkwardness that certainly does not promise a better future.

I have yet to weigh in, but I really don't see why anyone would be adamantly in favor of getting him nor adamantly opposed to it. There are enough disposable pieces on the 40-man to give Reed a shot and not lose anything, but as a 1B/DH that has greatly lost his luster, the value of adding him is not likely to be much.

All that said, I'm in favor of claiming him if he gets that far, but don't want to trade anything for him outside of a tiny amount of money or "future considerations."

If this would mean we finally give up on Davis and release him, I would suddenly become a huge champion of adding Reed, but he hardly seems like the type of player that would make us pull the plug when we've been resistant to it to this point.

4 minutes ago, jsbearr said:

Word rumbling from the Astros is that Reed is resistant to change and not exactly a great presence with respect to coaching and developmental staff. Baseball is hard and it is amazing when you can even sniff AAA, so it can be very difficult for an intensely dedicated player to throw away aspects that led to everything that got them there.  Some players can do it, but that have to get low and experience something shaking enough to change lanes. Few ever do that. Most just go on doing the same thing over and over again because it once worked incredibly well.

To put it a different way, it took Justin Turner about 200 supervised hours to reprogram his swing. Few players who once experienced great success are willing to suffer through months of awkwardness that certainly does not promise a better future.

I wonder if being released would serve as a wake up call for Reed and make him a bit more willing to change?

8 hours ago, AceKing said:

3 years ago he had 34/127

2 years ago he had 34/104

1 year ago he had 28/107

this year he had 12/35 so far.

he would still be the best hitter we have down there even with this flameout.

PCL.

8 hours ago, AceKing said:

Whatever.  He will go somewhere, he will be good, and I will bring this thread up again.  Hope it is Baltimore.

Are you his brother?  You seem oddly invested in him.

Archived