2019 Trade Deadline

sportsfan8703

2 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

straight up trade. Mancini for Forrest Whitley?

Pretty sure Mancini won’t be bringing back one of the top prospects in baseball. I was thinking more under the radar kinda guy that he has a little more knowledge of than other GM’s 

3 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

No way the Astros give up Whitley for Mancini. Whitley is pretty much a consensus top 20 prospect and Mancini won't bring that big of a return.

12 minutes ago, JMU_Birdfan said:

Highly, HIGHLY unlikely. Whitley is among the top pitching prospects in baseball. He is rated as the 17th best overall prospect in baseball, and Mancini is not sniffing that kind of return. From Houston, I'd imagine the best prospect we could hope for would be 1B/LF Seth Beer-- rated as the 100th best prospect in baseball. I'd be very, very surprised to see Houston deal him for Mancini, but not outright shocked. 

37 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I actually think this is where Givens lands. Yanks already have a closer and set up guys so he gets put in middle relief/bridge guy where I think he's better. 

Doesn't seem to handle very high leverage situations well.

If it is a deal with Houston the guy i think Elias may ask for is Fredius Nova.  That would be a low level young guy that would fit in with the pitching group down in A ball and has big upside.  He still a lottery ticket somewhat but projects well.  

9 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

If it is a deal with Houston the guy i think Elias may ask for is Fredius Nova.  That would be a low level young guy that would fit in with the pitching group down in A ball and has big upside.  He still a lottery ticket somewhat but projects well.  

I imagine Elias will be going after BPA in any potential trades but if we trade Mancini I would love for a middle infielder to be the number one guy we get back in that deal.

1 hour ago, Can_of_corn said:

Yea, but I think 2021 is pushing the realms of possibility.

Agreed, though the Bowie guys run gives me a glimmer.  It needs Mountcastle, Diaz and Hays to be more stars than role players, and the organization's pitching strategists to make a lot more than I expect from the high minors basket of arms.

I'm pretty sure Rutschman's debut will be early 2021 regardless, but whether Hall and Rodriguez are May or August depends a little on team context assuming they can both keep hitting their milestones the next year and a half (~10-20%).

2 minutes ago, OrioleDog said:

Agreed, though the Bowie guys run gives me a glimmer.  It needs Mountcastle, Diaz and Hays to be more stars than role players, and the organization's pitching strategists to make a lot more than I expect from the high minors basket of arms.

I'm pretty sure Rutschman's debut will be early 2021 regardless, but whether Hall and Rodriguez are May or August depends a little on team context assuming they can both keep hitting their milestones the next year and a half (~10-20%).

I think there is a path (although an unlikely one) where they are somewhat competitive in 2021 but EVERYTHING would have to pan out.  Like you said Mountcastle, Diaz, and Hays would all have to reach their ceilings an be very good/all star players, Nunez would have to be a good third baseman, and Bannon and McCoy would have to reach their ceilings of solid, but unspectacular middle infielders.  

Not to mention that all the pitchers at Bowie with 2021 ETA's like Kremer, Lowther, and Wells would have to succeed along with Means keeping form. 

I think it'll be an interesting season with all the players to watch but see it as more of being the first season of the rebuild where they don't lose 100 games and look consistently like a competent baseball team.