Bradford traded to Tampa Bay for player to be named later

Tony-OH

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What?? How??

You're familiar with the fact that qualifying FA who sign away from clubs bring back supplemental picks, right?

If you're not, you have no business questioning anybody else's opinion on Bradford's value. (You are, of course, entitled to do so anyway. ;) )

Before someone starts a thread pointing out Brignac is not in the Durham lineup tonight... FYI he broke his wrist and is on the DL.

Despite your best efforts, I predict that you'll have to post that nugget of reality into at least two other OH threads in the next 24 hours.

My guess is Jeremy Hellickson, 21.

Both Durham and Montegomy are in pennant races. Tampa probably wants to keep who ever it is to help win the minor league pennant. The O's don't mind that because it is good for the player.

I think MacPhail will go for a starter. Hellickson was a 4th rounder who has done well at A+ ball this year but didn't do as well at AA. He has Price, McGee, Davis, and Niemann all in front of him. Houser may also be ahead of him though his substance abuse problem has put a cloud over him.

Tampa's high minors reads like a whos who of minor league pitching. What they need to stay in first at the major league level is to improve their pitching. How many changes do they get to do that taking waiver claims from first place? Bradford is attactive to them.

It fits with MacPhail motto. 'I will give you something to help you win now, if you give me something to win later.

I don't think Zobrist helps the O's future plan. He is one more of the same that the O's have. A utility player posing as a SS.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jeremy%20Hellickson&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=476451

Both Durham and Montegomy are in pennant races. Tampa probably wants to keep who ever it is to help win the minor league pennant. The O's don't mind that because it is good for the player.

I think MacPhail will go for a starter. Hellickson was a 4th rounder who has done well at A+ ball this year but didn't do as well a AA. He has Price, McGee, Davis, and Niemann all in front of him. Houser may also be ahead of him though his substance abuse problem has put a cloud over him.

Tampa high minors reads like a whos who of minor league pitching. What they need to stay in first at the major league level is to improve their pitching. How many changes do they get to do that taking waiver claims from first place? Bradford is attactive to them.

It fits with MacPhail motto. 'I will give you something to help you win now, if you give me something to win later.

I don't think Zobrist helps the O's future plan. He is one more of the same that the O's have. A utility player posing as a SS.

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?n=Jeremy%20Hellickson&pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=476451

You're insane.

Hellickson is one of their best prospects, they had him off-limits when they were trying to get Jason Bay, and you think we got him for Chad Bradford. I'll eat a whole bunch of crow if we get him, but dude, you are off your rocker if you think the Rays are sending us Hellickson.

I think MacPhail will go for a starter. Hellickson was a 4th rounder who has done well at A+ ball this year but didn't do as well a AA. He has Price, McGee, Davis, and Niemann all in front of him. Houser may also be ahead of him though his substance abuse problem has put a cloud over him.

Tampa high minors reads like a whos who of minor league pitching. What they need to stay in first at the major league level is to improve their pitching. How many changes do they get to do that taking waiver claims from first place? Bradford is attactive to them.

Fyi... Hellickson was untouchable in the Jason Bay talks. He is the single reason why Bay was not a Ray on 7/27/08 or so. So unless

1.) Things have changed drastically since then

2.) The Rays think Bradford > Bay

I doubt it.

I have no guesses, but I do know that we could have certainly traded Bradford this offseason for an OK return. My guess is that we got somethink pretty decent back for Bradford. What that means...I don't know. A pure salary dump doesn't make sense considering we could likely get more in 3 months.

OK, ok. Looks like a picked the wrong guy. But I think the line of think is right. A minor starter. I didn't know they had said not to Pittsbugh on Hellickson.

Yeah from what I've read Hellickson is right there with Davis as the guy they value the most behind Price.

Houser is an interesting option, although I think it will end up being someone we haven't discussed at all.

:eektf:

There's no way... Hellickson is one of their "untouchables" along with Price, Brignac, Davis, etc. As much as I'd love to see it, he's not going to be taken off their untouchable list for Bradford. This is a guy they wouldn't deal for Bay or one of the available closers at the deadline.

(Edit: Looks like GeorgiaBird, et al beat me to this. Sorry if this looks like piling on...)

OK, ok. Looks like a picked the wrong guy. But I think the line of thinking is right. A minor starter. I didn't know they had said not to Pittsburgh on Hellickson.

FWIW I think Niemann, McGee and Houser from your list are all well below Hellickson, but I doubt we get anything that good for him.

Not that I put a lot of trust in mlbtraderumors, but this is Tim Dierkes' take...

Prediction: the PTBNL will not be anyone notable and will not play in the Majors.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2008/08/rays-acquire-ch.html

Archived