25 DSL Orioles Prospects to Watch

ScGO's

The other day in the DSL thread I asked if someone could put together a top prospects list as little seemed to be known about the players we currently have on our 2 DSL teams.  We have a lot of older players for the league, players that have repeated the league 2 or 3 times, and other team's castaways, so its hard to see who Elias would really be invested in on our DSL teams. 

Luke-OH said putting a prospect list together would be difficult as there is little info on the DSL guys in our system, but he suggested to look at age, position, scouting reports (rare) etc, but not to hyper focus on stats.  So I decided to comb through both rosters and use the following combination of factors to comprise a list of who to follow: age, position, bonuses, nationality, statistical performance, when/who signed them (this plays into the "late bloomer" category), etc.

This list does not include any of our J2 signings for 2019, only players that were in the system already, whether signed by Duquette or Elias.  This is a list of 25 players who have peaked my interest enough to track.  I don't know if these are prospects (as I couldn't find a lot of scouting reports), but they seem to all have a reason to follow them that separates them from our collection of other teams throw-aways and the older holdovers (20+ year olds) in our system.  Enjoy and I hope its helpful as we are all a little more excited to track our international signs now.

1. Jorge Morla - RHP - Was an Elias June sign, although playing this season at age 19.  6’3’’ 185, so good size. Just added to the DSL2 team. Struck out 2 in first inning of work on Tuesday.  Maybe a late bloomer?

Jorge Morla

1. Kevin Infante - CF - Turns 19 on July 14th, but is interesting as he is a signee out of Cuba.  Signed for $175,000. Batting .320 with a .792 OPS. Stealing some bases, plays an elite position.  I wonder if he will get ABs in the GCL this season.

Kevin Infante

1. Ricardo Castro - CF - 2nd season in the DSL and playing the whole season at age 19.  SIgned out of Venezuela. Batting .300 with a .748 OPS, improved from his 2018 season.  Thought it was interesting as a he was a Duquette sign out of Venezuela, and I didn’t see a lot of people in our system from Venezuela signed during the Duquette era.  Another centerfielder.  

Ricardo Castro

1. Luis Sena - 2B - 17 year old shortstop signed out of the Dominican. Batting .288 with a .721 OPS.  An Elias June sign as well

Luis Sena

1. Joel Benitez - RHP - Signed in April, has pitched well so far with a K per inning and a 2.55 era.  Is playing this season at age 18. Late bloomer? 6’2’’ 175’’

Joel Benitez

1. Pablo Falconet - RHP - 2nd year in the DSL.  Had a good season at age 17 and his having a better season at age 18.  1 walk allowed on the season, averaging a K per inning. Another candidate to get some GCL time this season? Interesting body. 6’2’’ 220 lbs

Pablo Falconett

1. Angel Gomez - CF - Duquette signed in August of 2018, but this is his first stint in the DSL.  Just turned 18 in June. 371 OBP, a little speed. Playing every day for DSL1.

Angel Gomez

1. Harif Frias - RHP - Elias signed in April. Not putting up very good numbers with a 7.20 ERA, but he’s 6’4’’ 163.  In the 4 games he’s pitched in he’s only given up hits in 1 of them, and he struck out the side in one inning of work in his 3rd outing.

Harif Frias

1. Jesus Chavez - LHP - 17 year old LHP signed May 31st, getting starts and putting up solid numbers. About a K per inning.  2.63 ERA. Needs to get the walks down a little.

Jesus Chavez

1. Eduard Monroy - LHP -Another May 31st 17 year old lefty, but struggling so far.  Small in stature, 5’11’’ 160. Signed out of Venezuela, just added to DSL1, so only pitched in 2 games so far.

No photo

1. Jairo Vasquez - RHP - 17 year old Dominican sign. Recently added to DSL1. One inning of work, 2 K’s, 1 hit, 4 walks, 2 HBP, 7 Earned Runs.  One of the younger players, so maybe he’s an all heat, no control guy. 6’1’’ 160.

Jairo Vasquez

1. Yorkislandy Alvarez - IF - He’s playing this season at age 20, but Elias signed him out of Cuba in May. He’s getting innings all over the infield.  He’s got 15 walks to his 11 K’s, but he’s only hitting .214. Not sure about his story from Cuba to the Orioles, but don’t Cubans have to go through a waiting period when they defect? Possibly rusty and could move quickly once he gets going?

Yorkislandy Alvarez

1. Stiven Acevado - OF - From what I could derive, this was our most high profile sign from the 2018 money. Turns 17 in August. Hitting well, getting innings every day.  6’4’’ 185. I’m most excited about this player out of all the DSL guys.

Stiven Acevedo

1. Anyelo Reyes - 3B - 17 year old, bats lefty, Struggling a bit but getting innings in the field. Only 1 BB, so needs to learn some patience.  Seems versatile. 6’1’’ 170. Elias sign.

Anyelo Reyes

1. J’rudjeanon Isenia - CF - Kid from Curacao.  I think he was actually signed when Brian Graham was interim GM back in October.  Signed as a 16 year old for $125,000, playing his first season as a 17 year old. Just recently added to DSL2. Only had 3 ABs.

J'Rudjeanon Isenia

1. Damian Valdez - OF - Signed by Duquette for $200,000 in 2018. 17 year old Lefty 6’2’’ has been getting every day innings although he hasn’t produced much.

Damian Valdez

1. Moises Ramirez - SS - $225,000 sign by Duquette last year as well. Getting every day AB’s.  Producing more than Valdez, but only batting .213. OPS of .664 isn’t bad for a 17 year old though.

Moises Ramirez

1. Hector Lopez - RHP - 17 year old from Panama. Great numbers in 6 starts. 0.74 ERA. 6’1’’ 190.  I wonder if he is named after the Panamanian MLB player that had some good seasons back in the day for the Yankees. In the 1950’s-60’s.

Hector Lopez

1. Juan De Los Santos - RHP - Domincan, signed in March, just turned 17 at the end of May.  Getting starts, putting up K’s . 6’2’’ 190

Juan De Los Santos

1. Isaac Bellony - CF - Born in the Virgin Islands, he was signed for $220,000 by Duquette in August of 2018.  Switch hitter, 6’1’’ 180. Struggling a bit playing the season at age 17, but getting every day at bats.

Isaac Bellony

1. Raily Nunez - SS - Signed in May. Turned 17 on July 1st.  Left handed hitter. Added to the DSL1 on his birthday.  Has played in 4 games.

No Photo

1. Michael Mantecon - C - 17 year old Cuban signed in March.  The only Catcher on this list. 5’10’’ 180.  Struggling a bit, but getting AB’s. 54% caught stealing rate so far.  Started two games at 2B too.

Michael Mantecon

1. Kelvin Laroche - Duquette signed him as a 19 year old last summer and he will turn 20 at the end of July, but his WHIP is under 1.00.  Not K’ing a lot of folks, but apparently has a clean delivery and some poise. He will have to move fast to keep any semblance of a prospect, but he could be another late bloomer. Only 5’11’’ 170. 

Kelvin LaRoche

1. Gilberto Machado - SS - Getting AB’s but struggling.  Another Duquette sign out of Venezuela, but just now getting his first taste of pro ball.  Will play the whole season at age 18. Supposed to have a + glove.

Gilberto Machado

1. Carlos Del Rosario - RHP - Just turned 20, but is 6’5’’ 225 and is putting up big K and BB numbers.  Signed in August of 2018, another hopeful late bloomer.

Carlos Del Rosario

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fantastic work!    Hector Lopez and Stiven Acevedo are the two players who interest me the most. Lopez was signed a couple of weeks after Elias arrived and I’m wondering if he’s an Elias guy or whether we were already working on him before Elias arrived.   

There might be others in the system that should be up there too, so don't take this as official or a ranking by any means.  There are some other big body 18 year old position guys that I didn't list either that might be worth looking at like Hector Lucero, Josue Cruz, Julio Herrera, and Welington Santana because they weren't hitting much.  Most of those guys (except Cruz I think) are Elias era signs.

Check this kid too

Another strong outing today by Darlin Alcantra, a 17 year old RHP that signed back in May but debuted on July 9th. 6'3'' 180.

First outing July 9th - 2 IP, 1 Hit, 0 ER, 2 BB, 3 K

Tonight -  3 IP, 2 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 5 K

2 hours ago, catjuggler said:

Have any of the J2 players made it to the DSL yet?  and what is the normal timetable for that?

All the 16 year old J2 guys (most of them) signed contracts that start in 2020, so they won’t play in the DSL this year. The will play in the Tricky League and instructs(Dominican or Sarasota). If any of them are invited to invites in Sarasota, that’s a really good sign. 

The reason the contracts start later is because it gives the team an extra year before the player is Rule 5 eligible.

Noelberth Romero and Elio Prado - Both 17 year olds out of Venezuela, swing and throwing right handed.  Romero is an infielder, Prado an outfielder.  Prado is killing it with an .818 OPS and 3HR and now becomes only the 2nd players on either Orioles DSL team to have an OPS over .800 joining 21 year old Juan De La Rosa.  Even Romero, all 145 lbs of him is flashing with a .260/.336/.364 line.  Slugging is a bit low, but his 2HR would be tied for 3rd among all the Orioles DSL behind two guys tied with 4 HR (Bellony and Oscar Olivares who will be 21 in September).

I don't know how to measure the value of these guys with Cashner, but compared to what we have and what they are as additions, I like this.

Archived