Mancini Drawing Interest

wildcard

We’re on pace to win like 47 games. I don’t see us improving that next year. So even in 2021 we’d have to make a 15 win improvement just to avoid 100 losses. 

Let that sink in. We are a long ways away. And why does Mancini have to be the face of the franchise?  Why can’t Mountcastle, Sisco, Means, etc..., be that guy?  You can’t fall in love with players in a 5 year rebuild. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re on pace to win like 47 games. I don’t see us improving that next year. So even in 2021 we’d have to make a 15 win improvement just to avoid 100 losses. 

Let that sink in. We are a long ways away. And why does Mancini have to be the face of the franchise?  Why can’t Mountcastle, Sisco, Means, etc..., be that guy?  You can’t fall in love with players in a 5 year rebuild. 

Your point is exactly correct, but, more specifically, a “face of the franchise” is a once in a generation player, not somebody who shows up in place for four-five years and then leaves.

The Orioles have been blessed with what, three of those guys? Four?

Mancini isn’t the face of anything, anymore than Manny was.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, wildbillhiccup said:

I think your trade expectations for Mancini are a bit unrealistic. We'd be lucky to get a single top 100 prospect for him. He's a player without a position. That's a fact that can't be ignored. 

Mancini is young cheap and offers plenty of control. If you don't get high value you simply don't deal him.

29 minutes ago, Philip said:

Respectfully disagree. Mancini hits well but duplicates what we already have in great abundance. Sisco looks like he’s developing into a worthwhile catcher, and Trumbo will take his millions and go away, but that leaves Nunez(for now anyway) Mountcastle and possibly Stewart-at least- as younger and/or cheaper replacements.

Moving Mancini should happen to clear the logjam. I don’t think he’ll bring back quantity And quality. One solid midfielder and a AA possibility is probably more reasonable, but should be done regardless.

One thing Dan never did, for whatever reason, was trade assets at peak value. Here’s hoping Mike knows better.

So you want to take the best and only known quantity of the bunch and deal him. 

Interesting.

I'm happy to see this report coming towards Wednesday/Thursday.  The days after the ASG have been a bit of an unofficial Trade Opening Day - I think it was 2 years back we had the Eloy Jimenez bombshell then, and of course Machado last year.

I'm sure every buyer considering Trey is also reviewing Nick Castellanos, but better some smoke than none at all, even if we end up choosing to pass.

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting.

Yes for the sake of "Clearing the logjam". He's young controllable and offer good value at 1B. We just need to find a team where he would be considered a nice upgrade for someone at 1B

11 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Only cause you put those lifts in your shoes. 

I'm plenty big enough - ask your mother.-_-    

Anyhoo, trade possibilities for Mancini have been discussed in multiple threads.  We needed another one?  
 I don't see any contender making a Corleone offer.
giphy.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Yes for the sake of "Clearing the logjam". He's young controllable and offer good value at 1B. We just need to find a team where he would be considered a nice upgrade for someone at 1B

I'd be cool with trading him if we got an amazing offer.  But wouldn't be actively shopping him.

I've said it before, I'll say it again here...this board is a weird, funny place.  Years of bitching and whining about not having young, controllable good players and when we get one...can't trade him fast enough.  

• Thanks 2

9 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

I'd be cool with trading him if we got an amazing offer.  But wouldn't be actively shopping him.

I've said it before, I'll say it again here...this board is a weird, funny place.  Years of bitching and whining about not having young, controllable good players and when we get one...can't trade him fast enough.  

Honestly, Villar, Mancini, and Cashner should yield good returns. And we really don't need to be in a rush to deal any of the three IMO

17 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting.

At the moment, yes he is the best, and he is also pretty much a known quantity. Would you rather deal Mountcastle or Cisco?

I would be happy to deal Nunez, but he offers even less than Mancini. He has no value at all. 

Mancini will not be here in three years regardless, if he’s good he will be treated if he’s bad he will be replaced, but you’ve already pointed out that he is a known quantity, he’s not suddenly going to sprout another significant tool. He hits well and everything else is “meh”

Even if Mancini’s value would be marginally higher next year at this time, if we keep him, his presence blocks Nunez from first base, which hinders the lineup. 

So yes I think he should be treated. Why do you think he shouldn’t be?

24 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

Interesting.

I just read your subsequent comment, and of course I don’t think we should trade them unless we get value for him, but I don’t think he will bring back much absolute value. 

However, given the hard fact that he’s not going to be here when we’re good again, Part of the value of his departure will be freeing up a roster spot. Nuñez can go to first or DH, Sisco can catch or DH, Davis can First or sit in the bench, And we can have a Gin-you-wine outfielder in right field.

hooray defense!

29 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

Mancini is young cheap and offers plenty of control. If you don't get high value you simply don't deal him.

I'll modify that slightly: "Mancini is not old, not overpriced, and offers plenty of control.  If you don't get good Vale for him, simply don't deal him".

I don't consider him "young" anymore.  He won't be "cheap" in arbitration either.  But he won't be super expensive.  I agree we shouldn't trade him for peanuts.  It has to be a good deal.