An All New 'I Was Wrong' Thread

Greg Pappas

36 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

My problem with Markakis leaving wasn't his performance with the Braves. It was the Orioles complete lack of a plan or strategy to adequately replace Markakis. This was the same off season that Duquette flirted with the Blue Jays for club president job and the O's front office did nothing in the off season until it was too late.

And decided that Travis Snyder/Delmon Young/"insert RF here" was a valid way to go. ?‍♂️

Nick's last year in Baltimore he was a below-average player, who then signed an $11M a year contract.  The prior year both Travis Snider and Delmon Young posted 117 OPS+es, and their combined salaries were less than half of Nick's.  Platooning them was a reasonable plan.

• Thanks 1

Gosh, it's been since 2008, sooooo many things I thought were wrong.

But if we are just limiting this to the 2019 season, there's a few that come to mind.

1) I was a big DSJ believer early in the season. I thought he might even be able to hold down LF long-term. But his bat has cooled and his defensive value is way below par. So, wrong about that.

2) Like a lot of you, I thought Mullins would hold down CF. Wrong.

3) I thought Cashner would suck this year.  Didn't think Bundy would be any better than last year. Wrong on both of those (happily).

4) I thought we would have at least an average bullpen.  Boy, was I wrong on that one!

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
On 8/19/2019 at 6:27 PM, OriolesMagic83 said:

What about the Fiorentino treatment.  Maybe he's ready for Baltimore already?

I recall telling my family how good Fiorentino's swing was and even though he was rushed, he would become a good ML player for us. Boy, was I wrong!

9 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I recall telling my family how good Fiorentino's swing was and even though he was rushed, he would become a good ML player for us. Boy, was I wrong!

Maybe he still could.  Wasn't he about 13 years old when we first brought him up in 2005?  I mean, he looked it.

So that would make him 27 now.  Just hitting his stride.

• Upvote 1