Orioles trade Cashner to Red Sox

MurphDogg

• Replies 455
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, foxfield said:

Well the manager is improved. So is the GM. Ownership has shown improvement and the Orioles are improved in the analytics Dept and the international market. They have dumped salary. The team is playing at a Lobito the same level as last year, but there are signs of improvement everywhere. Of course it’s not off to the World Series for these Orioles. Attendance still stinks and the team is on pace to garner its second straight #1 draft pick.

But I’m with you man. Fire the GM. Oh wait. That’s absurd. You of course know this...I’m gonna wait until re extend Davis or trade Rutschman for a couple 17 yr olds before I join your bandwagon. But it shall be noted that you were first. I’ll just say I hope your wrong for awhile. 

Yeah let’s make all the same mistakes that plagued the O’s from 1998-2011. Winning 75 games with a core of veteran players gets you nothing in the long run. 

I will go on the record and say "I like this trade" for a few reasons

1) Young prospects that can stay off the 40 man

2) More International Influence

3) More likely to get 2020 #1 Overall Draft Pick

4) Saves some cash (Would we be on the hook for the signing bonus either way I wonder)

5) Opens up a 40 man spot, maybe opening up another waiver wire move for another starting pitcher?

6) Establishes that Elias will be aggressive in trying to acquire young talent and shed more payroll

20 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Can I be both nonplussed at the return while also not really expecting more?  We got two lottery tickets for a functioning major leaguer.  I'm not really upset though because the team is so bad that the lottery tickets are worth more than a currently-functioning major leaguer.

Well you can and you should. But what fun is that?  Don’t look at the obvious. We need to react. Let’s get pitchforks. Let’s do something about this. We just gave away a guy who was gonna help us win 55 games. For children!!!!!

They’re just children!!!

I mostly enjoy the very baseball happening that the 2018 Red Sox were one of the most successful teams ever in terms of wire to wire, and beating excellent October opponents handily, and the 2019 Red Sox have decided they need Andrew Cashner.

That Baseball America report sounded vaguely promising, but I imagine their whole trade team has been chomping at the bit to analyze someone/anyone after a light couple days after the All-Star game.

Would have been nice to have gotten more but I would rather get some lottery tickets in the DSL vs a low upside AA guy or two. I also don't think a sub 4 ERA was sustainable for Cashner and we likely sold high on him, especially considering his planned usage on the Red Sox.

I'm totally on board with this trade.  Elio Prado is a 17 year old, more than holding his own in a league that is mostly 18 and 19 year olds.  He is hitting .300, he has a little pop, and he has as many walks as strike outs.  And he plays CF.  That sounds like a real prospect to me.   

I didn't want the O's to trade Cashner for salary relief or for a busted ex-prospect like Dillon Tate, but to get a young guy with upside, who you've been able to scout in the DSL?  Hell yes.  And I'm not even talking about the other prospect they got.  

35 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So ...I thought we would have gotten more.

I know zilch about the guys we picked up..

So I will trust the guys in place and hope for the best.

Im hoping we have enough AAAA arms to get us through the season.

I wonder who the O’s bring up for Cashner? 

38 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

So ...I thought we would have gotten more.

I know zilch about the guys we picked up..

So I will trust the guys in place and hope for the best.

Im hoping we have enough AAAA arms to get us through the season.

I hope so

Archived