Who is next?

mcloy

27 minutes ago, Roll Tide said:

See ....It makes no sense to move Hansen unless you are overwhelmed. Let him play this season and possibly next. He will still be valuable for a few years due to being under control and cheap.

Despite Elias and his new approach, 17-18 year old prospects are still extreme long shots. Basically you get 10 and you are luck if you hit on 1. Giving away Hansen because he won't be on the next contending Os team is not a reason to sell now. You can deal him next year or the year after and most likely get more. If you deal him now for lottery tickets you are selling low.

and he is playing his year 26 season. In three years he's playing his 29 season and four years his age 30 season. So he could indeed be on the next contender. Not saying he will but he could.

I generally agree that it makes no sense to trade him, but when he goes back to being a .600ish OPS hitter I doubt his value will be higher than it is right now.  

3 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I generally agree that it makes no sense to trade him, but when he goes back to being a .600ish OPS hitter I doubt his value will be higher than it is right now.  

If a team values him, sure, but I doubt any team thinks he’s worth much in terms of prospect value.

21 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Okay ...So now you just look dumb! You can't possibly believe that and it just ruins intelligent posts about the topic. There is no way he's rated the 31st or higher 2B in MLB baseball. You do the work to argue your point if you'd like. Without looking I'd be willing to bet he'd be somewhere in the mid 20s.

You're comeback is that he's 5 whole spots higher than what I said? LOL. 

13 minutes ago, Luke-OH said:

If a team values him, sure, but I doubt any team thinks he’s worth much in terms of prospect value.

I doubt so too, I just don't agree with the idea that we could get more for him in a year or two.  We likely could get what we could get now - next to nothing. 

42 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

A legitimate concern..... but he really hasn't had an opportunity. He had around 180 at bats from 2015-2018 in 4 years with Texas. So he really hasn't had an opportunity. 

He could revert back but if he does you'd lose out on a 17 year old prospect or two. I don't think that hurts. As a fan you hope he is on the uptick. God knows the Orioles can use some luck.

30 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

I doubt so too, I just don't agree with the idea that we could get more for him in a year or two.  We likely could get what we could get now - next to nothing. 

But he's a productive player on a bad team. He fits the profile that you want on the roster in Young and cheap. You are still trying to sell tickets and have to try and offer the ticket buyers something to watch. Bright spots like MeNs, Alberto, Sisco, and Mancini help sell some tickets.

38 minutes ago, wildbillhiccup said:

You're comeback is that he's 5 whole spots higher than what I said? LOL. 

Read on sir ....Really thought he was middle of the pack and Fangraphs has him ranked 12th according to another poster. 

When you insinuate that he is at the bottom to try to argue your point it looks bad. 

14 hours ago, SteveA said:

What contending team out there has a need and thinks the answer to their need is Hanser Alberto?

Wait and see who signs Jace Peterson.  Peterson is a poor man's Hanser Alberto.

Alberto's low strikeout rate and aggressiveness also slots in well as a pinch hitter for the pitcher in the NL.  I wouldn't deal him for a random 17-year-old, but I could see a good team wanting him on the bench.  

18 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

Read on sir ....Really thought he was middle of the pack and Fangraphs has him ranked 12th according to another poster. 

When you insinuate that he is at the bottom to try to argue your point it looks bad. 

[insert old man yelling at cloud gif]

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, DrungoHazewood said:

Wait and see who signs Jace Peterson.  Peterson is a poor man's Hanser Alberto.

Alberto's low strikeout rate and aggressiveness also slots in well as a pinch hitter for the pitcher in the NL.  I wouldn't deal him for a random 17-year-old, but I could see a good team wanting him on the bench.  

I agree his utility mght play a little more in the NL.  I wouldn't necessarily be trying to market him individually as much as I might include him with Givens to aim for a guy a few ticks higher on our trading partner's organizational list.

As Elias has stated, he isn’t looking for elite prospects in return for his trade pieces. Everyone is clear on what type of value even the best Orioles player has at this point. Instead, the goal of Elias at this deadline is to acquire talent from the lower levels of the minor leagues, including more young, international prospects, similar to the two pieces acquired for Andrew Cashner.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/birdswatcher.com/2019/07/18/baltimore-orioles-rumors-intriguing-pursuer-mychal-givens/amp/

https://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2019/07/trade-candidates-top-5-hitters-by-xwoba.html

Trey Mancini, OF/1B, Orioles: xwOBA: .354; real wOBA: .353

• There are large xwOBA/wOBA gaps for Smoak, Reyes and Belt, but Mancini’s production is apparently just about where it should be. The 27-year-old has batted a strong .281/.340/.500 (119 wRC+) with 17 homers in 373 PA, and as someone who’s on a minimum salary in 2019 and has three seasons of arbitration control left, he could interest teams as a long-term offensive building block. That said, Mancini brings little to the table on the defensive side, and Orioles general manager Mike Elias doesn’t seem inclined to trade him unless a highly beneficial offer comes along.

We need to make a move. We are only 0.5 G ahead of Detroit for the number pick, and we have 1 more win than them. We’re on pace for 50.7 right now. This is starting to get scary. Det is 4-25 over their last 29.  That brings up bad memories of the infamous 4-32 stretch we finished with one year. 

Villar and Givens need to go ASAP. What’s the point of suffering through this if we don’t get the #1 pick?

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We need to make a move. We are only 0.5 G ahead of Detroit for the number pick, and we have 1 more win than them. We’re on pace for 50.7 right now. This is starting to get scary. Det is 4-25 over their last 29.  That brings up bad memories of the infamous 4-32 stretch we finished with one year. 

Villar and Givens need to go ASAP. What’s the point of suffering through this if we don’t get the #1 pick?

I'm not so sure that trading Villar and Givens would affect the W/L record that much. Trading Mancini might accomplish more in our efforts to be the worst.